The light at the end of the tunnel...

W

I have now got my doctorate (three days ago). The viva itself was really good and I had a feeling of strange calmness. This was quite surprising since I had heard so many horror stories. Gotta tell you that I feel lighter and quite proud of my thesis. Got really good comments as well from my examiners and therefore feel that the last few years have actually resulted in me becoming a good researcher.

One of the biggest fears I had before finishing the PhD was what I was going to feel like after but it turns out that the oppurtunities are actually endless. Just concentrate and get a good complete thesis. And if you have any holes, don't ignore it, understand why they are there and be ready to explain it. It will all be worth it at the end!

W

Excellent news! Well done! Enjoy your relaxation and celebrations! I have handed in the first draft of my thesis and have been told I should be able to make the edits and submit by end of July. I'm still finding it hard to sit down and get going on this again! Glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel.

W

BTW how long did the viva last?

H

congrats

S

Congratualtions and Jubilations to Dr.what2donext. hey, this is great news and hope for all of us hanging from straws. So, there is an end and good news as well. How long were your PhD from start to finish and which subject ?

P

Congratulations!! .. Good work. I guess now u should change your name to Dr.I know what2donext? .

Btw, I am glad to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I have always heard of dark tunnels. Well, I havent still started my tunnel journey, because none of the tunnels are wanting me till now I hope I will soon find a suitable tunnel and be on the end in years to come.

Good luck for your future !!Its an achievement. How did u celebrate it ??

W

Thanks guys. The viva lasted two hours. The deliberation lasted 10 minutes and I was told at the end of the ten minutes about the decision.

I started the PhD in October 2001 (part-time) in Computer Science. I was (and still am) a full-time research fellow as well. It has been 4 years 8 months. It seemed shorter somehow

I've just noticed this thread, I've asked you a question on the other thread without knowing the existence of this one. Congratulations again.

W

answered your question on the other thread as well

N

Congratulations and lots of success for the future!

P

Well done W2DN!
Thats really good news.