Three Questions on Applying for a PhD

L

I am a third year undergraduate psychology student aspiring to be a professor. I will be applying for a PhD (most probably with a 2:1), and have quite a good idea of what I would like to do my PhD thesis in.

Firstly, I was wondering how detailed the proprosals you sent to the professors were — the ones you send via e-mail *before* you send your application to earn beanie points.

Secondly, to those who did not unfortunately get a spot, what did you spend a year doing?

Finally, I am torn between applying to the UK and the US, and am thinking of taking a year off and applying to both (taking the GREs and everything). If anyone has had the same experience, can they give me any advice?

Many thanks!

S

E-mail - I only included a few lines about the general question. They always say a good thesis can be summarised in a few sentences; don't bore them with too much information (save that for the next e-mail if they're interested)

I couldn't get funding so I'm self-funding and working PT

Think carefully about US/UK - the course structure is very different and it is easier to get a job in the UK with a US PhD than a job in the US with a UK PhD (particularly if you haven't done a Master's)

L

Thanks for your reply!

Just out of curiousity - why is it harder to get a job in the US with a UK PhD?

S

US PhDs involve coursework and exams as well as the thesis (it has been likened to taking a Master's first), so some US academics feel UK PhDs aren't as academically rigorous

R

US PhDs are hard, but UK are quite easy - hard work but doesn't require brains

S

LOL @ rat

Hubby is american, but has a UK PhD - he found it easier to get work over here than back in the states even despite being a yank

L

Is it true that it is more competitive in the US? And are you more likely to get funding in the UK or the US?