to do research from overseas universities

A

i have submitted my Ph.D thesis in organic chemistry and most probably will be awarded within two month.Presently i am working in CRO(Contract Research Organization)Jubilent Chemsys Noida.
the R&D work on Organic chemistry is done in this organization.
But i want to do another Ph.D. from other university. Please suggest me.

J

Stop lying to the forum!
People who have "real" PhDs don't think about doing a second one, so why don't you get lost?

B

Actually some people do more than one doctorate, either for professional reasons (especially in medicine, psychology and engineering) or because they did a doctorate in one country, which is not recognised in another.

J

bulls**t

T

Easy tiger.

B

Which part of my statement exactly do you consider bulls**t?

J

Think about it. If a so-called Ph.D is not recognised, it probably is NOT a proper Ph.D, henceforth not worth the title. In which case, the OP should not walk around claiming to have a Ph.D. Second, before asking for advice on how to get an Ph.D from an English institution, the OP should perhaps learn the language.

J

Third, even if one changes fields post Ph.D award, it is generally common that he or she is considered academically trained enough to acquire the new subject knowledge without doing a second or third Ph.D. One professor I know originally did a Ph.D in Physics, but subsequently decided to change fields into social sciences, and published widely, all through independent study. A second Ph.D is not required in such cases. In other words, the OP is not trustworthy and I probably wouldn't call him Dr Animeshalddar

B

Although I have gone ballistic over other poster's spelling and punctuation, the OP isn't horrific for a internet BB.

With regard to the accreditation question. Are you seriously telling me people should disregard the qualifications their own country gives them just because they may not be acceptable in another country? That is insane.

I know of British post docs that got turned down from US jobs because their PhDs held no prelim exam or coursework component, just thesis and viva. However, I have no inclination to deny my own PhD just because the Americans do it differently, so why should the OP.

J

"I know of British post docs that got turned down from US jobs because their PhDs held no prelim exam or coursework component, just thesis and viva."

Is that really the case?

If yes, I'll take it all back and wonder what makes the US Ph.D so special? Surely, if one has a Masters degree, the standard should be similar?

B

It would be inappropriate of me to give you actual names, but I can tell you about the reasons.In the US, the PhD system is different in that in certain fields graduate schools often ask for a pre-admission exam. Their PhDs take about 5 years to do, and have several components to it in addition to their thesis and viva.

More details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhD#Overview

My friends were told they were shot down by their respective institutions because they could not provide coursework scores and exam scores, which US PhD grads could.

Unfair? Definitely? But I have seen people with PhDs from India being told at my UK uni that "they may need to do another PhD".

J

thanks for the information. According to the link below, the USA are the country with the highest degree of Pseudo Science. Now a debate on the definition of the latter would surely be interesting. What makes a real PhD? The country of the institution? Or accepted scientific standards?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo_science

S

I have a good friend with 2 degrees and 2 PhDs - both very good but in different fields. It does happen (although I couldn't face it, personally).

J

wasted life time. IMO

"Avoidance of the real world syndrome"

S

Maybe that's the case for some people - but my friend did his second degree while working and then had 2 kids during his 2nd PhD. He just felt that his interests had radically changed although he still wanted to be in research. He was very focussed, very committed and worked very hard - but certainly still had a life and remained in the real world. I don't think it was a waste of time at all. If you know what your goal is, and you know this is what you need to do - then it makes sense.