To Quit or Not to Quit...

C

Hello All,

Not done this before but I'm just about to... Moved my whole life 200 miles from home to start a PhD. Seemed like the logical next move in my working life. However, so far it's been rubbish. Postgrad network is practically non-existent, postgrad office is full of zombies who never even have the courtesy to say hello, and the local area is not appealing to me either. My social life is based around non-uni groups. Oh, and did I mention that the PhD is even more rubbish. I said at interview that I was after a new challenge and looking to gain some new skills and experience which I thought this PhD would do. However, within 3 weeks I realised that it was hardly going to tax me at all. Told my supervisors that I was bored and they've tried to amuse me with things but I don't think I'll learn anything new apart from learning that I won't learn anything new (still with me...?). It also hasn't helped that my main supervisor said PhDs are designed for new graduates (I have 8 years experience working in a government microbiology lab so I'm hardly new) and, I quote her exactly here, "this PhD is a piece of piss". Um, I don't recall at interview saying that I wanted to breeze through my doctorate and if it was a piece of piss then great. So what to do...??? I have enough in my bank account to be able to afford to move home and be unemployed for a few months, and at the moment that is my intention. I cannot see it improving here, either theoretically or practically, and when I told my supervisors I was having doubts all they could say was well, there's a boy down the road who could start next week. So no support there either.

I guess I'm after some reassurance that whatever I decide to do it'll all turn out right in the end, or at least it won't turn out as wrong as this PhD. I have no qualms about being labelled a quitter, especially as I have good reasons, but I don't want to quit then have regrets. Argh, any comments anyone...??!!

Moo. :-s

D

======= Date Modified 22 Jan 2012 16:52:36 =======

Quote From CowShed:

I have enough in my bank account to be able to afford to move home and be unemployed for a few months, and at the moment that is my intention.

I feel for you as I hated my PhD. It was boring, not in an area of interest and supervision was like the blind leading the blind. The examiners gave me much, much more feedback about my PhD than my supervisors ever did. I thought it was a little too easy at the time - a bit like an extended undergraduate project. Anyway, I finished my PhD a few months ago and have been unemployed ever since and so it may take you longer than you think finding something. Given that you've already moved, if you are making more money from doing the PhD than being unemployed I'd suggest you stick it out until you get a job. Just my opinion though...

H

Out of interest, how far into your PhD are you? That might influence (i) whether or not quitting is a good idea (ii) whether or not the current situation could be improved.

And what are your long term aims?

B

I must admit I don't understand the concept of a PhD where you know the outcomes already from what you write and which has no potential whatsoever to take unexpected turns, but maybe this is a science thing. Certainly, what I thought was a well-planned straightforward PhD several weeks in turned out very differently and most people I know had the same experience. I'm a social scientist so maybe biology PhDs are different. But are you absolutely sure that you know 100% that it won't get better. Many science PhD students are brand new graduates and perhas do need more handholding and structured projects than you would, but I'd have thought there would be some scope for development.

Two other things - as far as I understand it, there's very limited career progression in science if you haven't got a PhD - would you regret it if you gave up? And will you actually be able to get another job given the job market at present? Finally on the social side, it almost certainly will get better and you will find things in the area that appeal. Google culture shock - it might ring some bells. I've hated everywhere I have lived at about the 1-3 month stage. Basically, I'd stick it out for a bit longer.

D

My PhD could be considered social science and it was very predictable throughout. This made it boring but it made it easier to stay on track and finish on time (no blind alleys as such and a straight run, aside from the corrections). The examiners took their job seriously, my supervisors didn't, in my opinion.

M

Hi CowShed,

Does your rationale for doing the PhD in the first place help you answer the question about quitting? You say it was the next logical step, so is it something that will allow you to progress to somewhere new that will give you the challenge & skills you're looking for? If so, I guess it's worth sticking your head down & carrying on. If not, is it worth spending x number of years being bored?

Good luck, whatever your decision, Mog