toothache driving me crazy!!!!!!!

W

I'm neither a chemistry or pharmacology PhD student, although at times I wish I was. I did pharmacology and biochemistry a long while back. I miss the lab, I miss my Gilson pipette (both the P1000, but especially the P200), I miss my spectrophotometer and my GLC machine. Now I make questionnaires and do qualitative research.

J

Not sure if this will help for the toothache but might work for those with wisdom teeth coming through (and before any of the scientists start - I am not interested in a debate - it worked for my children when they were babies who had no knowledge of placebos).

Try Homeopathic teething granules (or the homeopathic remedy Camomila).

Worked a treat for me.

Could it by your sinuses? Sometimes that can cause toothache.

Wal - I probably am addicted to co-codamol but the dr said I need surgery, but they won't let me have it because I'm too young, so they told me to take the drugs. When i asked "will it trash my liver" the doctor said "its swings and roundabouts" - nice!

Y

Hope you are feeling a bit better now you are on the drugs. It is more than possible that thesis stress is getting to you. I've been suffering from gum recession over the last 2 years - my teeth are perfectly fine and I've always seen my dentist regularly. There was no trigger for it at all, but when referred to the NHS dental hospital I was informed by the helpful dentist that stress adversely affects the oral mucosa in the mouth. He even had done a PhD on it! Personally I think it was more to do with my wisdom teeth coming through randomly.
Either way I hope you are feeling better soon - I'm slowly coming down with flu post hand in. my poor head.

C

Hmm, I hadn't thought about it being my sinuses - probably not in this case.

With the medication I am fine right now. A bit of a fuggy head, but fine otherwise. Fine enough to write.

I think maybe it is partially stress related to thesis + unemployment + temp work all in one fatal dosage! But there must be someting physiologically there to make the pain so acute..

Urgh, I hate toothaches.

I hope your gum recession is treated soon yellowtreble.

M

Commiserations on the toothache. I used to have stinging pain in my gums, was an allergy but it was horrible. My mum always says a bad toothache is the second worst pain she ever had. Hope it gets sorted soon. hug.

Pain in your tooth and mouth is the primary symptom of a toothache, but the type of pain can vary and present itself in multiple ways:

Sharp, throbbing, or constant pain
Tooth pain that only occurs when pressure is applied
Swelling, painful gums
Bad taste in the mouth (from an infection in a tooth)
Fever or headache

This can happen on of following reasons:

Cavities (tooth decay)
Infection at the root of the tooth
Chipped or broken teeth
Damaged fillings
Repetitive motions (chewing or grinding)
Infected gums

Some behaviors or foods can start your toothache, or even make it worse. They are known as "triggers" and include:

Cold drinks or food
Sweet foods
Biting down on anything
Putting other pressure on the tooth