Transcribing Nightmare! - any tips?

Z

In a similar vein to 'writing-up nightmare', is anyone in the social sciences yet at the most mundane bit (so far)?
And, if so, any tips?
I'm finding its taking me an hour to transcribe about 7-minutes worth of dialogue, and I'm feeling like I'll never get out of this phase - there's just sooo many hours of interviews waiting to be transcribed..............it's soul-destroying.

A

No tips, but lots of sympathy. and, if you'll permit, a little bit of gloating that thank god the transcribing is behind me. You're right, it is a nightmare. And I think a lot of the tips about writing up work well - do it in small chunks, focus on what you've done not how much there is still to do, make sure you have somewhere comfortable to work. I also found (and dont tell my supervisor this) I soon started to worry less about being completely accurate - as long as I got the sense of what people said, that was enough for the sort of analysis I was doing, tho now when I am writing up if I want to quote something I go back and check the original tape.

D

I got so fed up with my transcribing that I decided not to be so particular about it. Who's ever going to check anyway? Ok, this might not be the right attitude, but it stopped me from going completely mad!!

W

How are you doing it? I borrowed a transcribing machine from my department control with foot pedals to allow you to slow down the speech to your typing speed. Once I found out about this machine (I wasn't told about it until I had done quite a few tapes!) I found it a bit quicker than using a tape recorder to play back the tape and having to stop it etc.

W

Sorry that should have said:

I borrowed a transcribing machine from my department. It is controlled by foot pedals to allow you to slow down the speech to your typing speed...

S

What a good idea. When you slow it down, do your respondents end up sounding like Barry White?

S

transcribing machines are good and your department may let you borrow it

I

I paid someone to do mine for my masters - I got to the point when I was about to cut my own throat, but I think if I had a transcribing machine (I did look at buying one but they were v expensive) it wouldnt be so awful ...
They reckon 7-9 hours typing for 1 hours conversation if you are a reasonable typist.
good luck

P

?????????????? tape!!! pedals!!!!!!!!!!!! Whaaaaaa? Is this DanB reviving a post from 1972?

I am doing most of my interviews online [iChat for Mac] so the interviews are already transcribed, or in the instance that I use audio the software converts to text in a tiff file and I copy and paste into word. FTF interviews done on an MP3/4 recorder then uploaded into text & converted, I hope though I have not yet tried.

Z

Blimey! You guys are all living in the 21st century! Unfortunately, my dept is not. When i asked for a recorder, they plonked down this 1970's enormous brown thing (remember, with great big buttons, about the size of an armchair?).
Anyhoo, I managed to borrow a digital recorder from a friend, which makes life easier, but I think asking for a pedal-thingy would be like asking for the moon on a stick.
Dan'B', I do have to transcribe them myself, partly cos of confidentiality, as I promised my participants I would, but also because my supervisors said I should so that i am fully 'immersed' in the data. But I'm so immersed I'm drowning!

N

A link about transcribing interviews written by a PhD student (just discovered it randomly today and then found your thread in this forum!):

http://www.music.training.rhul.ac.uk/studled_oral.doc

Good luck

Z

Cheers Nimrod - It is indeed very helpful!
PS What are you doing up at 4:58 am???

D

I cant imagine NOT doing it with a transcribing machine. It must be a nightmare otherwise!

N

chchch... I was at work, nightshift this week, plenty of time to browse the Internet as there's really nothing to do.

Z

120 interviews????!!!! Blimey - how many are you intending?