'translating' your work

P

Guys, bit of advice please :)

In a day's time, I will need to report from my ongoing fieldwork to a completely non academic audience. My work is at one level intensely intellectual, but on another framing has a policy relevant angle. However, this audience will be star academics (a few) and mostly media industry, policy, educators etc.

I am trying to (1) contextualise my stuff after a a star panel (2) scope my project in about 4 points (3) select 6 stories/quotes from the fieldwork to make 3 core points to drive home (4) conclude and open the floor to discussions.

Aiming for about 1000 words for 10 mins. Does the structure look Ok? any other tips?

PS: Yet again I find I am the only student speaker, so any advice much appreciated for am getting nerves at the thought of the audience, unlike all other audiences at the conferences I speak at.

Thanks guys!! :)

M

I'm so sorry I can't offer any help for I have no experience with this kind of thing, but GOOD LUCK for tomorrow, and the structure looks good, and don't be nervous, I'm sure you'll boss it. M,x

B

If speaking to a non-academic audience I always think in terms of how I would explain my research/topic to my mother. So no high-faluting language. Really simple. What's the core point.

Good luck!

P

Hi both

thanks much! I wrote it finally and did a round for myself and it's coming to 12 mins, with nearly 1700 words so I need to cut down.

Ok! let's see how it goes and will post back :)

Bug

T

Structure looks great bug, hope it went well!

P

hey Teek, it's tomorrow evening! :) Thanks!

P

For those who responded, to say, it's just got over. It went wonderfully well. Thank you guys!

A

Hi Bug, sorry I've been away and not on the forum, but for the future....when explaining to a non-academic audience, I agree with Bilbo, do it as if you're explaining what you're doing to your family or friends...to make it fit with the academic peeps though, throw in some technical phrases and find some simple means of defining them , as if you were teaching it, to show you know your field well but you're matching your audience. And finally for the nerves, Bachs Resuce Remedy is simply amazing! It's a herbal infusion of flowers-type thingy, basically an alcohol extract, but its great for settling
nerves!