twas the night before my viva when all through the house Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse

S

Hmmm, why am I posting a comment here instead of ferverently reading papers etc? well probably because it all seems a little unreal and surely the best way to cope with these things is to ignore them ;-)

So, I submitted about 16 days ago (or something like that)and now my Viva is upon me, the external has flown up - Thesis is read and my fate is in there hands from 10am tomorrow

Well mine really I suppose - so the question is - What do you do the night before your viva?

Read my thesis already, read some papers, went out a run for an hour where I pretended to be both me and the examiner asking myself questions why this, why that what did you show, why are you crying? and it seemed like I had an answer for all my own questions- I'd pass me already!

S

I think the problem is that there is so much you could do - but would it make any difference - maybe I'll find that one elusive paper that'll help answer all their questions brilliantly. Or I could just do what I usually do and either answer it or say I don't know.

So do you keep prepping or do you crack a couple of tinnies and relax in front of Britains got talent for the evening? - I know what I'd prefer!

S

S

Oh and I tried on the old Viva suit - fits (kind of) if I undo a button or two - maybe if I wear it around the house it'll give a little for tomorrow?

W

I wish you all the luck in the world with your viva tomorrow, really hope you get by without any major problems and defend your work well. Please let us all know how you get on. Good luck!

S

goooooooood luck tomorrow!

and i think the best "preparation" is to do exactly what you feel like. if you feel like watching britain's got talent, do that. if in the middle of it you suddenly get the urge to go read that paper on the stack there, do it! don't tell yourself "but i must relax now" nor "but i must prep now".

go go go! and pleeeeeease do let us all know how it went!

J

all the best sjo4! you'll be in my thoughts. keeping everything crossed for you. :P

A

Hi, It sounds to me like you are prepared, no matter what there will always be unanswered questions in your thesis, just so long as you are aware of these questions then you'll be super!

Have you had a mock viva? and if so, did you find it helpful or just plain scary?

I think relaxing for now is the best idea, re-charge your batteries! although Britains got talent...really sjo4? lol

Good luck you'll be fab tomorrow!

A

Hi there, it's too late to do anything now. Have a hot bath, go to bed early and start afresh tomorrow.
Good luck.

A

PS. very quick to get a viva 16 days after submitting!

S

Hey ANG! good to hear from you again

and thanks for all the support from others too

Yes there will always be holes I know but what you gonna do.

I've just been in this odd place for the last couple of days - really a little over complacent - and it worries me that this isn't a good thing - but then I only submitted a few days ago - so how much could the world have changed in that time (probably a lot)

I think the main thing that messes with my head is that they could ask ANYTHING - So whaddya do about that?

I'm pretty sure the format it'll take, because I know both examiners - I guess, I think - will I have enough to say for however long it takes - back to that whole ' will I get found out thingy again'

Ah well - guess you gotta be in it to win it and tomorrow I'm gonna make you all call me Dr S!

S

as for the 16 days - had to do it cause I got a job starting in the states in a couple of weeks and the visas were already in place - I had some very understanding examiners

S

And what the hells wrong with Britains got Talent? that dancing dog was pretty damn funny (amused me at least)

J

i loved the dog yesterday

T

Let us know how you get on!

L

wow S good luck!! I am sure you will be great!! yah take the evening off and just relax. you already know everything, it's in your head, and will come spiralling out once you're in there. i have every confidence you will pass !