Update on resubmission rejection

B

Dear all,

I am sorry for not being in touch especially since some of you sent such kind and helpful advice - the last few months were very difficult but I am pleased to say that there is now some light!

Just to recap, my resubmitted thesis (which was not required a 2nd viva) was rejected outright with a very minimal report.

Several months later, the decision was nullified due to a variety of reasons - some were quite appalling to think they happen in a world of academia that is supposed to be just and transparent.

Consequently, I will now have another viva.

Quite paradoxically, the last few months have also seen an implosion in the interest in my research and it has been going from strength to strength - its actually unbelievable. But this has carried me through.

I am feeling very scarred from my experiences and am dreading the new viva - I think I have accepted failure - but also the edge has been taken off the pressure because hopefully I have a strong enough foundation now in my research area that I can keep afloat and survive. For the purpose of post-doc grants though I of course require the PhD and also I have put in many years of work and life energy so I hope I pass.

Most of all, I am very saddened that some very well-known professors have acted in a very downtrodden way - who were also aware that I have been establishing strong publications etc (this was actually mentioned in the report).

I am not sure if anyone has been through similar? I just hope that after all this the PhD will be granted. I am hoping the viva will be this year. Any advice how to prepare and how to 'judge' my thesis (my supervisor was very happy with it and outraged at what happened) in terms of whether it meets the requirements to pass would be greatly appreciated!

P

Dear Beth,

I'm really very sorry to read this. Actually feeling a little tearful after reading your story. Devastating.

I'm currently waiting for verdict from examiners following resubmission in August (similarly, no second viva) and I'm expecting a result very soon. I know I would be absolutely and utterly devastated if they rejected my resubmission. It is truly heartbreaking to go through 3/4 years of PhD, submit, viva, resubmit, wait for examiners decision, rejection, then second viva. Sounds like a complete nightmare. I'm really sorry Beth.

At the very least, at least you've got the option for another viva rather than an outright fail, that has to be a good sign!

You've mentioned minimal feedback, just wondering if there is anything you could use to integrate into next PhD draft or defend at your second viva? Also, it sounds like you've got your supervisors behind you and collecting strong publications which is so positive.

Also, you've been through a viva, so you know what to expect and have some idea how your examiners act/expect of you, so at least you're not going into this blind.

I don't have much to add, but just wanted to say that we're on similar paths (resubmission). I don't know if I my resubmission will be similarly rejected, but you're not alone on the tortuous long journey towards a PhD.

Thinking of you. Best of luck with everything.

(up)

Beth,

Is the new viva with new examiners?

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

B

Thanks so much for your support. Yes, a new viva with new examiners who will not know of the first submission as this has been disregarded now. I have done all I can work wise and let's hope this was enough - and for you too Pineapple!

Quote From beth12:

Thanks so much for your support. Yes, a new viva with new examiners who will not know of the first submission as this has been disregarded now. I have done all I can work wise and let's hope this was enough - and for you too Pineapple!

So this is being done with a clean slate?

That's good to hear and fingers crossed you get through with no more than minor corrections.

It does sound as though the examiners took a downer on your thesis and submission for reasons other than the quality and contribution of your work and that's worng (admittedly I'm not sure of all the facts). Hopefully, the new examiners will be more professional.

You'll be fine. (up)

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)