Use of diagrams in analysis

H

Hi,

When analysing quantifiable data, do you use diagrams to represent the results?

C

By diagrams do you mean graphs of various descriptions or something more pictorial and do you mean during the process of analysis or to illustrate the outcome of the analysis?

Nothing like answering a question with more questions is there;-).

H

Quote From clupea:

By diagrams do you mean graphs of various descriptions or something more pictorial and do you mean during the process of analysis or to illustrate the outcome of the analysis?

Nothing like answering a question with more questions is there;-).

:) Graphs of the results of the analysis.

C

Then I would use diagrams - much easier to get a sense of the results and how variables relate from a graph than a table of numbers. Though I know from bitter experience that it also makes it easy to see when your hard won results show nothing of anything. Hope that's not the case with you.

B

I used quite a lot of pie charts in my history PhD thesis.

H

Thanks all. Will use them then!

H

Yes, do use them, but be careful how you use them and what kind of graph/chart you choose. Sometimes no graph is better than a badly thought out one. If in doubt, ask for advice, here or in your department.

H

Quote From hazyjane:

Yes, do use them, but be careful how you use them and what kind of graph/chart you choose. Sometimes no graph is better than a badly thought out one. If in doubt, ask for advice, here or in your department.

Thanks!

D

I would echo Lazyjane. Use chart where it best illustrates your data but stick to numeric presentation of statistical data for the most part.

D

I think it helps break up the text as a good diagram is easier to read than a block of text so I'd agree with the others! You know the old cliche that a diagram is worth a 1000 words so I have often wondered if I could just fill my thesis with pics instead! ;-)

I generally stick to tables of results or results in the text, but I do have 2 line graphs in my 2nd study. I also use SEM in my final study so have diagrams to represent the results, otherwise it would be scary how difficult to understand it would be.

Example (this is just off the internet though, not my work). http://aspe.hhs.gov/daltcp/reports/2006/newmeas-fig1.JPG