Very unsure and needing some advice!

A

Hi I posted this topic on here as I am desperately in need of some advice as to whether I should do a PhD or not!?
I have just completed my MEng degree at Liverpool university and am in the position of having two options; firstly to take a good job, working for an engineering consultancy and the second to undertake a funded, and industry backed, PhD at Liverpool. The dilema with the PhD is that the project title has been changed since I originally applied and I was only told two weeks ago. My supervisor set up a meeting with him, myself and a representative from the industrial backer last week and I came out of the meeting more unsure than ever as to if the PhD is for me. If it was the project I had originally applied for, I'd be full of confidence but as its changed at such short notice I'm really unsure. I'm conscious that if I turn down the PhD now I might never leave industry and also it is very unlikely that I'll ever get such a good combination of supervisor and funding but I'm just not totally set on the project!

P

In my country people generally say that if you think about to work in academia than just do it :) but if you want to work in the industry just go and work in the industry, do not pursue a PhD. It's just about what you want;I mean how you want to shape your future ...

S

If you are having doubts at this stage they will only become magnified if you accept this project. The fact that your supervisor changed the topic at such short notice is worrying too. I hear alarm bells ringing. I'm limping towards the end of my 4th year now and my advice is this: a PhD is spectacularly hard work, an all-consuming endeavour that will make you question everything you ever held true - not just about your subject area but about yourself too - and you should only undertake a project that you will really get your teeth into. If you are having doubts already then do yourself a favour and get out while you still can!

A

I think it will be better for you to accept PhD position because if you go to industry you will never return to science and obtain such well conditions. As to problem with theme change it is normal situation in science. Merely you superviser have found more interesting object for investigation.

S

Can't you just talk to your potential supervisor about your doubts? He sould be more helpful than anybody else on this forum or outside, I guess.
Honesty is the best policy, so they say...