Viva panic - how to prepare

K

The prospect of impending viva (in less than 2 weeks) has completely ruined Christmas for me, I've been on the verge of tears most days, convinced I'm going to f**k up. I have no confidence, feel a complete fraud and just know that the way I am emotionally at the moment I shall fall apart in there.

I am trying to prepare, I'm reading the thesis but then panicking at some of the references that I put in and looking at them again to brush up. I 'm not getting anywhere and just falling in to panic mode more and more. I think the examiner will suss me out. I have also scheduled a mock viva with both my supervisors. Because I've felt so panicked, one of them has agreed to sit in on the viva with me as support, but I'm not sure that this will be a good idea. Please help, I just don't know what to do and I seriously don't think I will be able to go through with it.

A

Try smiling. I think that will help.

B

Read this book, if you can... "The Doctoral Examination Process". Have a mock viva. 4 things to think on: (1) presentation and clarity, (2)integration and coherence (3) contribution to knowledge (4)originality and creativity.

See how your thesis measures up - any weak areas? Those are what examiner's will pick up on - not to make you feel a fool, but to give you the opportunity to clarify. Identify your strengths and weaknesses... and make the most of them - feel good about what you're contributing and work on weaknesses. Some tips about 'taking' your thesis mentally with you to the viva: (1) know what's in it (2) understand what's in it and why it's there (3) justify/defend your ideas/arguments (4) identify your contribution (5) show how it fits in the overall scheme of things (6) think about what you could have done differently

B

Good luck.

W

I really feel for you! I think the viva sends most people into panic, no matter how hard they worked on the thesis. I guess the main thing is to think how far you've come - a finished thesis, X number of years of research, and that you are really in the last stages and it will all be over soon! My Christmas has been taken up with trying to finish my thesis so I'm envious that you are already there, but the thought of the viva is still petrifying! It sounds like you're doing the right things - reading through your thesis, re-familiarising yourself with the material, mock viva etc. So just keep going and try and relax as best you can, eat well, go for a walk etc, and visualise your successful outcome!

K

I'm in the same situation as you. I will take Viva on 11 January 2007. I'm so worry; especially English is not my first language and I know that my speaking is quite poor. By the way, if you can pass the Viva, please post some viva questions (that you think it's useful) besides general questions that can be found on the Internet. I think it will be very useful for me and other PhD. students.
P.S. I'm studying PhD. in computing.

K

Hi all, just wanted to say thanks for all your support and advice. I am actually feeling a little bit calmer. My supervisors gave me a mock viva on Thursday, which was an enormous help and got me thinking about issues I hadn't previously considered. TBH, my panic is also due to some problems I've been having with a close friend. We had an argument last year, just before she got married. won't bore you with the details, but I was in the wrong, I admitted this, and have apologised, but she has dragged it all up again. I think she has purposely done it as my viva is so soon, and maybe wants to unseat me a little.

Amyway, big day is on Tuesday, I'll let you all know how it goes :)

T

Good Luck Kronk

K

Good luck,
By the way, my big day is on Thursday.

W

Best of luck to both of you!

F

Best of luck to both of you.