viva - sheer panic

F

I have my viva in two weeks and I am starting to panic big time. I have read through my thesis and made notes. I have also tried reading relevant papers but the sheer panic is preventing me from being effective.

I spoke to my supervisor today and he asked me some 'practice' questions which I completely messed up. I do have a mock viva on Thursday and another practice session next Mon.

I know this is normal but I can't help feeling I will fail. Some of my chapters have been published so I know I am not completely off the wall (not meant to be boastful). I can't help feeling I know nothing and that I will just crumble under the pressure. I am much better at written communication than defending my stuff orally and this is what particularly worries me. There is so much at stake in the viva.

Sorry for the panicky post. I know that only I can do something about this but it is good to 'talk' to like minded people. Everyone keeps telling me that I will be fine but I just can't believe it. The more I read, the more I panic.

O

Hi fluffymonster, perhaps you could take a break. As you said some chapters have been published therefore it is impossible that your thesis is not good enough and you probably know what you are talking about as you just recently wrote it all up. I haven't been through my PhD viva but I had two for my MSc and it helped me to take a break every two days for the last three weeks and do really relaxing things (e.g. spa - we had a cheap one in town)to get my mind of things and do sport every day. Otherwise I had the feeling off an overload and everything got confusing and scary. I am sure you will be fine and just think of the bottle of champagne afterwards (and a vodka before? )

B

Good luck fluffy monster.
My viva is still a little way off but I've been worried about it since the beginning.
The things that people have said to me that help are that you have written your thesis, no one knows it better than you and the content within. You have spent 3+ years working on it and it is all your work. If anyone could talk about it it's you.
Hopefully, your supervisor would not have let you get to the viva stage if s/he didn't think you could pass it.

R

Hi Fluffymonster

I think it is good that you are practising: this makes that you know what may be coming and will help you to get your nerves better under control.
By the way do not underestimate that you have put so much effort in to your topic and that you are now an expert in your field of research. Also I dont think the aim of the viva is to trick you out. So head up, you will do OK!

F

Thanks Oz, Blueunderneath and Rick.

I know you are right and I submitted less than two months ago so the gap is not huge (in terms of forgetting stuff). I will keep you posted. I do think I need to calm down with the preparation a little as this seems to be triggering further stress. Thanks for the spa/sport idea. Wish me luck for Thursday. I have a feeling that I won't do well for the mock but I am hoping it is like the last lesson before your driving test where you mess everything up and the real thing is ok!

P

good luck for tomorrow fluffymonster

F

Thanks Pea, much appreciated. I am sat here trying to 'revise'! I will let you know how it goes.

A

Good luck Fluffy, you'll be great! We'll be thinking of you

Hi fluffymonster. When is the real viva, how was the mock viva?

F

Hi 404

Thanks for remembering. Real one is Monday, I am in serious panic mode now. Feel like I don't know anything and my brain is complete mush.

Mock was ok. My supervisor said I did okay and was able to talk arund the topic. I felt like I was completely incoherent though and as if I did not make any sense.

I have another practice with someone on Friday (was supposed to be Monday) so hopefully that will help.

Thanks!