viva stories... good and bad

U

although i have found a lot of info on the web, it would be interesting to compare people's experiences of what actually goes on behind doors during a viva. i guess it's very different between countries and subjects.

P

i have a friend who is doing psychology, i don't know the details, but he failed. I hope he could come here and tell us his story, and also other people's.

K

[note on this thread] I think it's a really good idea to have a thread that demystifies the whole viva experience somewhat - the more experiences shared the better. However I don't think the thread should just be about relating scare stories/disaster scenarios and leaving it at that. Such tales really are not constructive to thesis writing and viva preparation (believe me, I know! I was twisted in knots before my own viva and wasted alot of energy thinking about those whose outcomes were not straighforward).

If anyone posts a negative/disappointing viva outcome - especially if you're telling someone else's story, not your own - try and also include what steps (if any) were taken to move things forward positively.

K

[and back on topic!] reading the boards I sense that some anxiety has been stirred since Silentray courageously disclosed his/her outcome of major corrections. This is understandable as it reminds us that not all PhD vivas are passed with either minor corrections or none at all. Thre is a huge expectation that you will go in and emerge as Dr, culminating in an enormous pressure which prompts candidates to sometimes keep their viva dates secret.

In my department, I knew of 2 people who received major corrections and a resubmission. It was strange as major corrections became an outcome that was more feared than being offered an M Phil, or a flat fail. The reason? It is not a straightforward outcome and involves more work. Unlike a fail which is final and definite, major rewites are an unknown quanitity. It's a result that prolongs the journey for already fatigued students.

K

The truth is, the differences between major and minor amendments is not always cut and dried. OF my 2 friends, one was given 6 months to resubmit. I was passed with minor corrections and allowed 3months. Not a huge time difference given the hugely different perceptions of the two outcomes. As for my other friend, she was given 9months, waited 4 weeks for her report* and then blasted thru them in 6weeks! She was part of the graduating cohort consisting of friends who were passed with minor changes.

It's worth remembering, that although the extended time given to sort major rewrites may seem interminable, chances are the work won't actually take that long. Examiners realise that when students are at viva stage, they may be working full time or have other committments, and they have to allow a realistic amount to time for them to complete.

K

* as with minor amendments, examiners are required to provide a detailed report of exactly what the candidate needs to do.

C

I think that if I make it to viva stage in around 2.5 years time I will keep it secret from everyone except my housemate and boyfriend (because, they'll have to know I'll be so stressed). Some of my friends have told people and arranged parties on the night of the viva for theirs...I couldn't bear to do all that and be told that I have failed... I would then call people afterwards and hope they were free for a pub crawl! (or sophisticated dinner to celebrate my emergence from the chrysallis of academia as a butterfly....)

U

hello,

i was hoping to hear more about what actually is said during the viva and the form of the viva. For example, who does most of the talking and is the thesis scrutinized sequentially of randomly. how many questions are there and how long should you take to answer them. how do you avoid getting trapped by the examiner. i'm not so interested in the outcome - that's more personal.

i guess most people here still have their viva to go, but it would be good to hear from those who have gone through it.

K

no worries - here goes... I am UK based and unlike some european countries where they are conducted in public, vivas here are very much "closed shops". IE, you, the internal, external (and supervisor if you want him/her to be there - it's ENTIRELY YOUR CHOICE)

Mine was about 2 hours, the internal examiner started it all off, introducing the external and generally explaining the "formalities". Then the external started asking questions, starting form very general (summarise what your thesis is about) then progressing to very specific (can you say how you applied this theory in this instance). The external asked more questions, about 4 to every one from the internal (who effectively acts as a chairperson really)

I honestly can't remember altogether how many questions there were - I just talked and talked!

B

This is a useful and interesting presentation - sets out the stages of the viva, what to expect, and how to prepare. Enjoy.

http://www.minds.nuim.ie/~dez/postgrad/2004-2005/slides/pmooney2.pdf

B

Hi Kronkodile (and anyone else who has been through the viva process),

One thing that I'd like to know is ... is it just the external examiner who outlines any amendments to be made, or does the internal have a say in this to (i.e. who writes the report of revisions to be made?)?

K

Morning all - Goods, overall the external will identify most of the areas that need altering, and internal will probably see some too. The key thing is that they MUST BOTH AGREE on what needs changing, whantever the viva outcome is. It's not just one person who makes the call while the other acquiesces.

I know of someone whose external was a sh*t of the highest order (the exception rather then the norm, rest assured!)He was making unreasonable demands for major re-writes. The internal was not happy, thought minor amendments would suffice and thought the guy was being unreasonable (he was). As they couldn't agree on the corrections and outcome, the thesis was sent to a third independent examiner.

K

Basically, if it's minor corrections, the internal and external agree what needs doing and the internal sends you a report and a date by which you have to do them. Then h/she reviews them once their done, and you go ahead and produce the final one adn the external doesn't need to see it again. If major corrections are needed, the external produce a corrections report verified bu the internal, will want to see the revised thesis .

F

Mine was a very similar experience to Kronkondile's to be honest. It was 2 1/2 hours long, but the time did fly by. I never believed people when they said it would but it honestly did.

The external also did much more of the talking than the internal. Again, mine started out generally and then became more specific. The first question was about how I chose the topic, started working in the area.

The examiners went through the thesis chronologically. No one bothered with the intro/lit review chapter but commented on all the other chapters. There was only one question about the last discussion chapter (more of a comment really) which surprised me. I expected lots on this to be honest.

I made some notes whilst talking and I am glad I did as it took a while for the list of corrections to come through (Easter hols) so at least I could go ahead and make changes.

R

mine was a social science viva in the UK. External led the whole thing, both agreed the revisions, they meet before to go over these things. It was 2 hours but seemed like less. I was terrified to the point that I wanted to cancel the whole thing! In the end it was challenging and if I'm honest, contrary to what many people say I was really glad when it was over. Remember its not supposed to be adversarial but your chance to defend what you've done and chat about your work in a professional manner.