Waiting to hear about my PhD

M

Hi guys,

I had a meeting recently regarding my PhD. By the end of the meeting I was told that I will hear from them in a week or two. I have my own funding, which is approximately £65 000. They told me that I seem to be very keen and I have been told that my interview can be done over the phone because I am an overseas student.

What do you think my chances are?

M

Come on guys... you must have some experiences about how the universities think?

C

Very high at 95% of universities if your academic record is at all reasonable and you can pass any English as second language test if those apply to you. Just prepare well you'll be fine.

M

Thanks Commonsense,

I have been told that I do not need to take English test because I went to school in london when I was a child and did my Bachelors and Masters in the UK as well. I got 2i in my bachelors and will hopefully get a pass in my Masters.

Anything else I should prepare myself for?

C

Besides the burden of £65,000 worth of debt, crikey i swear Universities in this country have a nice way of fleecing foriegn students.

Good luck anyway with your application

Regards Wolfe

M

I know what you mean Wolfe. Several universities I have been in contact with wanted me to pay minimum £30 000 and maximum £37 000 per year including maintenance.

M

that is an amazing amount of money for a Ph.D - local Ph.D students at my uni get a fee scholarship, and many also get a stipend to live on.
Why go overseas to get your ph.d if you don't get a scholarship. I don't imagine it will make that much difference on your resume.

M

What do you mean by it won't make much difference?

R

Im currently enrolled on a PhD based on published work. If you dont get anywhere with the traditional PhD try considering this route which is more self-motivated and enables you to complete your PhD in less than a year at a reputable University while also getting yourself published.

G

It must be the stress. I thought you said "enables you to complete your PhD in less than a year at a reputable University while also getting yourself published."

G

Just out of interest...what reputable Uni would that be then?

M

rpm08, tell me more... sounds interesting

G

Now then MH..I have these 'magic beans' I may be willing to sell you...

M

really?

R

There are many UK Universities that do a PhD by publication and if you did a google search you would find them and can include the likes of City Uni, UEA, Sunderland, Kingston. Even Cambridge has one by 'special regulation' but only offered to its own grads. Its not hard to find them, but it is hard to complete the works. Naturally people are sceptical but its as valid as the traditonal route and perhaps less costly.