Wednesday's particularly question - supervisors

S

Well two actually...

1) How often do you meet with your supervisor?
2) Are these regular, arranged meetings or do they tend to be on an ad hoc, issue-based basis?

Thanks team!

J

whenever i can find his ass!

V

1) when I want to see him
2)usually we agree on time and place some days before

H

About once a month, although earlier in the year it was fortnightly.

J

once a month

H

1) In the first year we met fortnightly. In second year once every two months. In third year on a monthly basis.
2) Meetings are pre-arranged. We usually set a date at the end of each meeting for the next one.

I think when it comes to supervisors you need to be pro-active. It is better for you to be on their case than them to be on your's. I also think honesty is the best policy - if you haven't done the work, don't hide tell them. If you think a meeting will be useless, explain and cancel. If you really need a meeting, email them and arrange one. Sadly you soon realise the only person who cares about your PhD is you - yes supervisors care but ultimately it is down to you!

S

Thanks everyone. The reason I asked is that I would quite like to have regularly scheduled meetings but didn't want to over do them. Once every couple of weeks sounds good to me, certainly no less than once a month. It's just a way for me to keep a disciplined approach and set targets. I did this last year on my dissertation and it kept things moving along nicely, so more of the same. I think they call this managing your manager!

H

Sylvester - it is TOTALLY about managing your manager. If you take a look at any of the PhD help books they each have a section on this. It is so important and something we should all take on board early on. It makes for a better working relationship and shows you take your work seriously. I also think being honest with your supervisor is key. If you are having a bad day, week, month - let them know. Better than them thinking everything is fine and then having a go when the work isn't coming in.

S

Thanks hillyg, this is good honest advice and leads to me to think I should set my stall out early when I arrive so that we build a working relationship from day one. Thanks very much.

A

As little as possible- I don't like to be bollocked around and be told that I am not showing enough gratitude towards other lab members (who said they did not feel this way and that that was total bollocks from my supervisor). I'm finding it harder and harder to smile politely, not listen to what she's got to say and walk out smiling again.

S

I have a supervisor????? LOL

R

Is it possible to not have a supervisor? I mean I prefer working on my own initiative

H

I sense some anger rat. Sounds like some supervisors are quite controlling. Fortunately my supervisor lets me get on with it.

R

Indeed, how do you deal with a over-controlling and won't-listen-to-reason supervisor?

P

I am very lucky when it comes to my main supervisor. He is in the lab most days and is fine with us just walking into his office and asking for a chat, or we just talk over morning tea - usually for quick questions we have about methods or problems. He is very busy, but he always makes time. Long meetings are about monthly and we get a couple of days notice to prepare results and lab books etc.

In my first year I hated meetings. Lots of failed experiments meant I never had any results and it was awful to talk about my work. One day, he came looking for me for a meeting, and I hid under my desk from him! He was very good and just laughed as he pulled me out. Looking back, I now realise how patient he was.