What a phD thesis is

S

Hello all, I am about to start my phd thesis, but I still have some questions. I would like to make detailed and general analysis about my topic. But some people say to me that I can not write a phd thesis in this way. What do you think ? Why do not some people want to accept, this type of detailed analysis as phd thesis ?? What kind of differences are there between "detailed analysis" and "phd thesis" ?? Regards.

M

Hi, nobody seems to have replied so far so I guess I could try,

I guess what you are trying to say is that you are going to do review of the literature in your field. that is a part of a PhD thesis. then, after you have done that, you still have to look for unexplored areas and questions, find a relevant question to ask, find a method to answer that question, and then carry out a study to see if what you think its the answer is good enough. so, basically, your idea is the first part of a much longer process. does it make sense? this is why you need 4 years to do a PhD.

I think it depends the subject about what constitutes a thesis

You say you want to do a detailed then general analysis. Does that mean you have a detailed discussion of your results, then talk about how it fits in the field (lit review) and possible future work? I have never seen a future work section in a thesis but the rest can definitely be included if you structure it right, but your supervisor will know more.

My take on a PhD thesis is that is like a craftsman's masterpiece that he does to end his apprenticeship. Where you show that you can look at the field, find an unanswered question, break it down into simpler questions, do several chapters of research, then try and conclude it by saying that you have answered the question. In the end, it should be a body of work that shows off all the skills you have developed to become an independent researcher.

PS: I am still in my first year and haven't started my thesis, so I am probs not the best

T

Quote From rewt:

My take on a PhD thesis is that is like a craftsman's masterpiece that he does to end his apprenticeship. Where you show that you can look at the field, find an unanswered question, break it down into simpler questions, do several chapters of research, then try and conclude it by saying that you have answered the question. In the end, it should be a body of work that shows off all the skills you have developed to become an independent researcher.

Wow, I really like that!

F

It seems that you are confused between a literature survey and a PhD thesis. The standard procedure involves conducting a thorough literature survey in your field to identify a problem. Once you identify the research gap or research problem, you propose a research question. You then have to find novel solutions to address your research question. In order to accomplish this, you need to carry out well-designed experiments that would help you find the answers. At times, the actual outcome of your experiments may not necessarily match with those predicted initially, but you should nevertheless report these in your research paper/thesis. Hope this clarifies your doubt.