What affects chances of completing PhD

P

======= Date Modified 06 47 2009 14:47:17 =======
:-)

H

I've never known anyone finish a lab based biomedical project in 3 years. Most seem to take 3.5-4 years

S

At our Uni one contributing factor (often overlooked) is the way PhD students are not incorporated into the department and thus the wider academic community. We don't get networking opps, never get asked by our supervisors to assist in a publication/write a book chapter. We're there as a source of cheap labour and HEFCE funding

P

Who are you? Is this for a company? an acad project? why are we responding to this?

H

Quote From phdbug:

why are we responding to this?

Cos it's Friday afternoon?
:$

P

Hi,

Thanks to all who replied. @Phdbug: Why will industries be interested in knowing all these questions? Its general question in Phd discussion forum, isn't? Anyways, It will be used by university international office.

P

======= Date Modified 06 Aug 2009 14:53:47 =======
I think, Supervisor guidance plays important role in finishing on time. In fact, I lost one year to just figure out what my supervisor want me to do..., After a year I realized, he wanted me to explore his papers and library myself without his guidance :-(:-(

S

I think this request is somewhat disingenuous. While this is a general discussion forum for PhD related matters, if our answers are going to be used by a uni, we should be fully informed of this. It's not enough to say that it will be used by an international office - how? What will this study be used for? How will the results be disseminated? If we can all manage to get ethics clearance for our research, you should too!

J

simple answer...Life :$:-):-)

depends on what your topic is and what you need to do to get it done. We all have to write a thesis, but some have to collect data, others just analyse existing data, others don't use data at all!

For me - if I over run it will be because people won't participate in my experiments so its all their fault!

P

Its not a survey, its pre-information required to conduct a survey. My university asked me, what factors are delaying of my phd.
My answers might be any of the following:
1. No proper communication with supervisor
2. financial crisis
3. Part time job
4. Health problems
5. Lab related issues
6. Other reasons....

It is simple to add other factors in this list, if something in your mind (not compulsory). I don't know what would be the structure of the future survey. Its good to know for first year starters if they know affecting factors in advance.

:-)

having to move in with your mother in law and her five year old while you try to sell your house.

A

I think it is significant that all you 'suggested' reasons involve external influences e.g. health, financial etc.
There is nothing there that would reflect a shortcoming in oneself such as lack of motivation or lack of planning.

You say you wasted a year because you couldn't figure out what your supervisor wanted you to do.
Which was, to explore past papers and the library ....on your own !
Could it be he was hoping you would find some self-determination if left to your own devices.

Soooooo, your PhD is delayed.
As you seem unwilling to accept that the problem might be 'you', you are unable to identify the real reasons for the delay, and you thought you would do a quick survey to find out the most common reasons in the hope that you could find a magic bullet for all your woes.

Sorry, pal but the answer isn't out here.
It's in you.
I would strongly recommend that you get a book called "How to get a Phd" by Pugh & Phillips......and then take yourself off for a week in the hills and read it thoroughly.
Give us a shout when you get back.
We'll be here !

Angus

R

everything effects it: supervisor guidance, departmental politics, the project itself: how ambitious is it. how big is the learning curve?  obviously the student themselves has to be one of the most important factors, how motivated are they, how independent, resourceful, clever, how well suited is their undergrad background to the project and fundamentally how good of a researcher are they? some people take to it like ducks to water and other not so..

the odd bolt of lightening can intervene as well!! I can comment from the perspective of a Phder who took early retirement: If i am being honest I would say lab research is not one of my many talents but I had next to non existent supervision and a host of equipment, interpersonal problems, so all of these things combined to make for a rather crappy PhD experience for me

I would stress that I think the most important factors are the student, the supervisor and the relationship between them. If the student is reasonably clever and well motivated and the supervisor stays in reasonably regular contact, providing adequate guidance. then there really is no reason why any phd should fail ( in most cases)

S

I'm still confused about the purpose of this info (call me a pedant!). You say that your uni wants to know why your thesis is delayed - but then also say this info will be helpful for first years. So do you want the info so you can come up with other reasons for your work being delayed, or is it for some survey? Or both?....