What are the classifications for a MSc

T

I have just recieved my results for my MSc and am a wee bit concerned about something and would like to know for sure before I wee myself. What the scoring classifications for a pass, merit and distinction? Is it 50%, 60% and 70+%, respectively?

P

This perhaps varies slightly across the UK and I would strongly suggest looking up the assessments section of your programme handbook and/or examination board guidelines and regulations of the school.

Speaking for my university, the pass is at 50%. 60% to below 65% is Merit. 65% to below 70% is high merit (and this is what is required for a PhD place) and 70% and above is distinction.

How the overall grade is determined is determined by school specific exam board policies, on how many units and half units you have and how you fare on an average and therefore your overall grade is not a percentage working of your total received marks across all the papers. This should be clearly mentioned on your results.

best.

G

When I did my MSc four years ago, there were no merit/pass/distinction classification - it was simple pass or fail - above 50% and you passed!

A

My MA was what you said Triplesteve. But I would have thought it depends on the university.

S

I'm not sure but I think most unis are different and it has to be clearly laid out in your handbook or on the website. In my uni its under 50% fail, 50-59% pass, 60-69% merit, 70% and above distinction. I hope its a good wee and not a bad wee for you! You're soooo lucky, I don't get my marks til wk 11 (week before Christmas!!! :$)