What are the costs of doing PhD in the states?

B

Hi!

1) What are the costs of doing PhD in the states while working at the same time in business? So, you are not a university employee (like in Holland).
2) Do you always have to follow a complete program with courses or thesis work enough?

Thanks!

E

Quote From boah123:

Hi!

1) What are the costs of doing PhD in the states while working at the same time in business? So, you are not a university employee (like in Holland).
2) Do you always have to follow a complete program with courses or thesis work enough?

Thanks!

I think that the majority of students here are from the UK. I think that you should visit the GradCafe (www.thegradcafe.com) which is a US version of PostgradForum.

As for the questions you asked, here are some answers for the first question. I am not an expert so you should confirm their validity from elsewhere..

Costs: Depends on university and PhD program. It is impossible to give a definite answer. Prestigious schools waive all your fees and give you a competitive stipend provided that you apply for and are offered a graduate assistant position. At lower-tier universities students have to pay their fees and living.

If you are not a US citizen, you are not allowed to work (exception is the afore-mentioned graduate teaching/research/office assistant positions etc). International graduate students hold F1 or J1 visas. If they work outside campus and get caught, they will be deported quickly (as far as I know)..

In case that you hold a visa which allows you to work in the US, you are not able to study.

B

Thank you for your answer and providing me the link.