What is a good job whilst waiting for right PhD Funding

Z

Hi

I finished my master's degree in October and have been looking for PhD funding or a Research Assistant post since. I have got the feeling that it could be months before I find the right PhD funding for me. Is there any such thing as a good job that can prepare me for a PhD? I was previously a college lecturer so have been doing that on a sessional basis (which is really poor pay and there is not much work at the minute). Could I be doing something better? I am worried that if I do the wrong job it could look bad on my CV and reduce the chances of me getting funding as well.

P

Any job in this climate!

A

Parenthood? That can keep you busy for the long 18 year wait for funding....

Z

Thanks for the replies

I agree with doing anything but just concerned it will look bad on my CV in the future.  I suppose any work is better than none.  I am holding out for a PhD in my commuting area so it will take a while until the right one will come up.  I applied for a postman job a few months back after finishing my masters but did not get it.  Think it would have been due to being over qualified.

I am already a parent but my wife works part time and I usually work/study full time whenever possible.  I hope it does not take more than a year as then I will have to consider selling my house (re-mortgaging) and moving with my wife and son which is a last resort option as we all love living where we are and has massive financial implications.  Did think about moving away on my own but know I can't be without my family.

H

What about trying the local higher education establishments for any academic tutor work? I've just done three years at Sunderland University

Z

Thanks Haggis - I will keep a look out at Universities.

B

======= Date Modified 21 Mar 2011 10:53:05 =======
Hi,

I think position of Research Assistant would probably best prepare you for a PhD, and look impressive on your CV as it shows that you have an idea of a research environment and will have relevant skills etc. I guess that there aren't many such jobs around at the moment, I know there were few when I was looking. Would it be an option, at least for a short period, to do some voluntary research work? Voluntary work would look great on you CV and could also lead to a paid position or PhD studentship if one should become available with that supervisor.
Hope that help.
Good luck.