What is another word for "Thank you"?

P

Am trying to write the Acknowledgements for my thesis. I am breaking with tradition and thanking my partner first (most put him/her last, but mine has been so spectacular for 5 years he has earnt poll position). Then my supervisors, then my laboratory people, then the people who helped me with my work once during the project (technical advice, free lab stuff etc), then the industry body that funded me. Then, last of all my parents.

But, can't think of enough inventive ways to say "I wish to thank..." to cover them all. Any recommendations? Do you think I am missing anyone? This is so hard.

S

express my gratitude....
acknowledge the support...

erm....

S

i've seen stuff were "i wish to thank" is very neutral and formal and is used for those you don't really wish to thank but have to. then "my heartfelt gratitude goes to" is a lot more meaningful. you can also say "i am deeply indebted to" or "i am grateful".
hope that helps

S

aw, you beat me to it sylvester

C

I think it is important to balance between appearing human and warm and also being professional. I copy theses as part of my part-time job and reading some of the acknowledgements makes me want cringe or feel embarassed. I think thanking the partner, parents and supervisors is generally what it is all about - some people like to mention close friends who have supported them. It is also generous and good form to include those who have helped seed ideas or find resources - maybe people met at conferences or who have been in contact with you. Thanking library/archives in general terms is also a positive thing as long as it doesn't take up too much space. Some people but in anecdotes as to how their interest in their field developed - and some are charming, but others a bit *vomit noise here*.

I've read some really lovely expressions of gratitude and thanks to partners and they don't even border of mawkish or gushing. I would be incredibly touched to be acknowledged in such a way.

T

You forgot to mention us

P

chrisrolinski - you have said it perfectly. I want to thank these people because I am genuinely grateful (particularly to my supervisors and family/partner) for their patience, support and efforts - and this is my one chance to thank them. But I am so paranoid about sounding soppy that I think I will end up sounding too rigid and formal, which is just as bad. I never thought this would be so hard.

I haven't actually said "I wish to thank..." at all, but instead have tried to be a bit more creative - but that part is bloody difficult. You are right - I don't want to make anybody cringe when they read this, especially myself! Arrrggghh.

P

Coastman - how can I thank you when I don't even know you?

L

After what Coastman said, has anyone included the Postgrad Forum in their acknowledgements?

C

Piglet - you'll do fine! It seems like you are putting in a lot more thought than some of the acknowledgements I have read.

One PhD'er once named their pet cats in their acknowledgements. I don't think I will be puttng my goldfish in!

Chris x

Piglet, does that mean you've almost completed your thesis?

I can't wait for writing my Acknowledgements page. When I get distracted from my work, I find myself imagining the acknowledgements page and also how I would phrase dedicating the thesis to my father who didn't live to see my graduation. I haven't even finished my first chapter yet Any excuse to get distracted from writing the actual thing...

Laney, I'll definitely do that. Seriously.

P

404 - to answer your question, Yes! Yay! Not quite done yet, but I estimate about 96.43% done. Today I have to finish off my final discussion and future directions section (only about 8 pages) and then for the first time, put it all together as one document. Fingers crossed my trusty laptop and Endnote can cope!

My supervisor wants to see it as one document now, so he can read it as the examiners will - he has seen the individual chapters at least twice each, so hopefully corrections for most of it will be minor. Fingers crossed. Also, my 2nd sup has to approve it and he is the slackest person in the world, so I am going to give him bottles of wine in the coming week, carrot in front of the donkey style.

To be honest with you, I am really scared at this point. What if someone finds a fatal flaw in my work and the whole thing is null and void? I am paranoid I have cloned my genes backwards or cloned the wrong genes. Aaarrrggghh!!!!!

Good luck with finishing the final things today. Do you know when your viva is going to be? It is a bit different over there though, isn't it? I remember something about a public defence of the thesis (or was it in another country..hmmm)

A

First and foremost I would like to thank the wonderful PostGrad forum for the opportunity to write in their wonderfull forum and for the patience and guidance during the completion of my PhD.

I owe special thanks to H, who kindly mentioned me in his poem, and without whome my time spent in this forum would have been less enjoyable.

My time here in this forum would also not have been the same without Ann and 404, and I would like to thank them for their frienship and support. I also owe thanks to Fluffymonster, who was a great help and also a friend.

My acknowledgement would not be complete without mentioning Clara van der Akker and the other members of this forum. Finally I will always remember DanB for his advice concerning moon cups and for pulling up coulntless old threads.