What is it with professors?

D

Just had hell of a day made to feel incredibly stupid by one of the professors. My friends theory is that they are all autistic so no social skills

S

That is so true. We call them anti social. It's probably because they've spent too much time locked away from the 'real' world. I never want to end up like that!

M

Yes I totally agree. Although it's not always the case - on my undergrad degree, the lecturers (admittedly PhDs and not profs) were absolutely superb, and the kind of people you'd go for a pint with.

M

But also - why make you feel stupid AFTER you've got your PhD? Is it to try to put you down?

J

Yes, that's a point. Maybe he was feeling threatened by your new title and wanted to reassure himself he was still "better" than you. Tosser.

M

Prof Tosser. Has a ring to it...

A

Do not worry, it is not your problem. it come to personal behaviour and security. some prof are not secure and try to avoid such feeling by dumping other people. it is also the way they have been raised by their parents. I think so! becuse even if the person is really stuiped you should still show respect or tolerate him/her as human. at least this is my understanding of humanity!am I wrong?

F

We have one in our deptartment that expects everyone else (especially one of his colleagues) to pay for him or serve him...from a pint of beer to serving him food on a field trip. My friend who has him as her supervisor is extremely fustrated by his non-comitalness.

J

I can't imagine ever feeling comfortable with people paying for me or serving me, no matter how qualified I was. I'm lucky here, all the profs are confident enough in themselves to be able to take pleasure in seeing young scientists coming up.

S

If we're talking about Prof.s as opposed to Drs, then I don't think I've come across an arrogant Prof. Arrogant young upstart Doctors (I'm totally not referring to you DrDJW), yes. Prof.s - they're okay...

M

Actually Sue, I agree with you. It's a bit like people with money and class. Those who are genuinely from the upper class are very nice. It's the nouveau riche who are the snobby ****s.

D

but I'm not sure if its acutally about arrogance, I think its more to do with lack of social skills

A

may be it is lack of social skills, but that does not make you rude! it might makes you shy, isolated or strange, but it should not make you lookin down at other people! I more believe it is personality of individuals the value they have reflect on the behaviour they act.

A

oh ya, I wish I can slap my prof on his face. I dream about it to be honest