What is YOUR motivation for doing a PhD?

N

I finished my master's degree in biology this year and I opted for not continuing with a PhD because I found something more interesting to me.

But still I'm curious. While I had been contemplating about whether to go for a PhD or not I stumbled across so much negative comments that I wonder why so many still decide to do it.

So what is (or was) your motivation?
Is it the perspective of a better job afterwards, the fascination for a specific academic field, the desire to broaden one's mind, or just a lack of alternatives that makes you opt for academia?

I would be nice to hear some statements from you...

S

I suppose the money on offer was good, and I considered it like a job in that respect. I was interested in the project, and so I chose to do a PhD to prove to myself that I was capable of completing a degree of the highest level

G

Umpteen posts re this in the past. Do a search.

I first wrote the proposal and then approached the Universities for funding. So getting funding was a motivation on its own. Also creating my own schedule and work whenever and wherever I want is better than anything in the world. I sometimes get bored of the subject, and my mind starts to wonder about other projects but then I remind myself the possibilities that a complete project can open instead of a failed one. I guess that also can be called motivation.

S

I want to impress people at parties by telling them I'm a 'Dr'

S

and if only you'd known about Belford earlier

but then if you say 'Dr', they might assume Drive as in an address.

S

Money, chance of publishing, didnt fancy a 9 til 5 job, now have an 8 til 6-shitter!

K

I love my subject and didn't want to stop learning more about it.

G

Money..SarahM? Not to sure re per actual hour worked you wouldn't get more on the check-out at Aldi.

J

what is my motivation? i ask myself that question everyday ...

lol @ golfpro. It so true...

N

Thanks for you comments

@golfpro
Well I did a search but I found only the eternally recurring mantras telling you what your motivation SHOULD be like. So I was curious if they match to reality.

I don't get rid of the impression that a lot of guys slither more or less voluntarily into a PhD program because the lack sound alternatives/ideas for how to continue otherwise.

Could imaginge that katq's statement is a pretty rare exception when compared to the majority of PhD students.

W

Katq's statement most closely matches my reasons for starting a PhD. No-idea - the reason you will read 'so much negative comments' is because the actual process of doing a PhD is damn hard. Not just hard as in finishing an undergraduate or masters dissertation but taking a bit longer, hard in ways that can only really be appreciated once you well into doing it! It is an endurance event and motivations may change over the years it takes to complete. In this last month or so before submitting I am motivated by finishing and not regretting done so much towards this and then giving up...this doesn't mean the motivations for starting aren't still there underneath the day to day grind. All PhD students are likely to encounter problems at some stage - those who have drifted into a PhD will (like the rest of us) either find the motivation to keep going or cut their losses.

G

If was a triffle terse no-idea as I always find the question odd. I [personally] think bottom line if you aren't 100% committed it's a no brainer. You don't sound anywhere near that.