What is your thesis title?

L

Am sure someone must have posted something like this before....
but whats your thesis title?

Me:
'The establishment and regulation of the anteiror visceral endoderm signalling centre in the mouse embryo'

You??

C

My thesis title changes - but the title of the paper I am working on at present is:

A "Most Ravishing" Spectacle, Cadaver and Specimen: Framing the elephant body 1680-1725.

L

Wow. I haven't a clue what that means but it sounds very impressive!!!

C

Having just spent a week poring 300 year old sources I feel very protective of my ideas until they get into print....but...

.. it is about the first few elephants that came to Britain and they way they arrived as natural spectacles, died and were dissected and then became specimens in collections and in 'paper menageries' and anatomy tracts. I'm looking at the way the 'elephant' was defined in this period.

I find your mouse thesis boggling!

R

OOoooh Ir261 a fellow neuroscientist! Where are you doing that? London?

L

Hi Roopa, Well, sort of...my studies kinda stop just before gastrulation - although my phenotype does give me an enlarged forebrain. I'm at the Gurdon Insitute, Cambridge. How about you? what do you do?

L

Ah, just re-read that - my phenotype doesn't actually give me personally an enarged forebrain!!!!!

R

I guessed that! I love neurobiology. I'm not doing a PhD yet but I'm doing a masters at the Institute of Neurology in UCL. I love it. But its so hard to revise. The PhD I've been offered here is involved in investigating the molecular mechanisms that underlie hippocampal sclerosis in epilepsy.

R

Can I ask...what did you do before your PhD?

P

I am also in neuroscience, my title is:
'Investigating the effects of social, mental and physical activity on neural ageing in the elderly'
I start in September.

L

Hi Roopa,
I was actually at UCL as well - I did my undergraduate BSc in Anatomy and Developmental Biology and then when straight on to do my PhD.

C

sorry, but a phd on the arrival of elephants in Britain?
is this a joke!?

O

sorry to say this and hopefully not insulting anybody but in my opinion this thesis title and research topic is definitely a case for the other thread"can a PhD project be pointless". Looking at the "definition" of elephants 300 years ago in Britain seems to be a particular good example for that.

But then my topic isn't any better. All in Happy Easter spirit..

P

Booo! Don't be a meanie. Chrisrolinksi -I think your project sounds ace.

L

hear, hear, pea!
I think its wicked that people have such diverse interests