What should I look for in a voice recorder?

Hi all

I need to buy a voice recorder/dictaphone for conducting interviews, but I don't know anything about the different features. I'll be using it for one-to-one interviews which I'll then need to transcribe. There's also a possibility that I may need to record small group discussions with it as well. Do you have any advice for things I should look out for?

Thanks very much!

A

======= Date Modified 24 Jan 2011 10:21:41 =======
There was a similar thread on here a while ago about voice recorders.

I have an Olympus which I find very good, lots of storage, multiple folders etc. If you are going to be transcribing interviews I personally would recommend getting a footpedal as part of the package. I didn't and really regret that as I found sourcing a compatible footpedal a nightmare. I was reluctant to buy one if I wasn't a 100% certain that it would work. I had to look up the manual online for the recorder itself as it didn't come with enough explanations but looking at the feedback on Amazon this seems fairly par for the course.

Eventually my solutiojn was to do download ExpressScribe (free) which worked 'ok' with a footpedal I borrowed but I feel the whole process would have been easier if I had got everything at the start. Finally as one who did about 60 interviews I would STRONGLY recommend that you keep up-to date with the transcription from the get go. It is so easy to fall behind. My transcription haunts me and I feel I will never get it done!

Good luck with it

Thanks, that's very helpful.

I did look for previous threads on this but didn't find any - I'll look again!

C

Hi Batfink.

Previous thread here..

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/threadViewer.aspx?TID=16971

Important to get the right one so carry on digging. Chuff

D

I have an Olympus WS-321M. I got it record my lectures cause I have trouble keeping notes and following the lecturer. It's small, with loads of space and you can even use it as an mp3 player or just as USB storage. Has a USB port and it can record from quite a distance. During lectures I'd sit about 13 feet from the lecturer and it would record just fine.

Thanks, another good recommendation.

Chuff - thanks, the other thread's got some good advice on it.

D

I've used olympus ones in the past and they've been great. You may want to consider getting a plug in mic for group interviews.

A

hey,

one thing I got told i had to look for was the direction of the microphone and how it cancels out any other noises. I went with as also did focus groups a panasonic one. it was more expensive but had attachable microphone as added extra for recording groups (also been used record uni meetings for some staff and has been very good quality) it also has a remote so can activate with out leaning to, found with some people this was a bonus as they where less aware of it. For groups an omni directional microphone is best to ensure sound is clear from all. I talked to the techy in my dept and he was really useful about it and ways could apply to get help purchasing so may be worth seeing if someone who deals with equipment in you dept can help.

i also have used express scribe and found it ok, I found once I had customised all the keys and the speeds etc that it worked a lot better than when initially download it. but yeah i got behind due to the timing of the work that i was doing and yeah it is now very daunting to try and catch up.

good luck with choices

Thanks very much everyone, I'm going to do some research on prices this weekend and hopefully make a choice and purchase next week!

C

I use an Olympus WS-200S and brought a microphone to plug in to it - these work together perfectly, and easy to get the audio over to your computer with the inbuilt USB (as per the previous poster)