What should i prepare for the progression viva?

H

Hi everyone,
I am going to do the progression viva in another 3 days. What types of questions should i prepare? My research is in Marketing. I will do survey for data collection using Structural equation modeling.
I am a bit of nails-biting now
Thank you.

You will be fine as they are looking for reasons to pass you. So as long as you explain your project/work so far and answer the questions competently they will be happy.

In my 1st year progression viva they asked about; general theory, why I was using these methods, had I considered some different approaches, what where my predicted results, could I also try this method, is this piece of planned work necessary and what is the impact of my work ( we even had a lovely chat about Arsenal's awful defence). They also corrected some minor errors from my 1st year report but mostly they seemed interested in my work. If you don't know the answer you can always answer with "I don't know but..." or "I haven't considered that opinion but..." .

H

Thank you very much Rewt. I am trying to practise more now

T

Yes, you will be fine! The report you have prepared and submitted to them should be the basis for all their questions. So ensure that you understand everything you wrote and why, relax, have a good, open attitude, and you should be sorted. Curve balls are just curve balls - there may be a few - and you might be able to answer them, might not - either have a try if you think you can or just admit you don't know if you really don't - those are the two best (arguably only!) options and either is fine! This is the advice I give based on my progress report viva and my final viva. All the best!

H

Thank you Tudor-Queen. It will be tomorrow to do the mini viva.

T

Good luck! I just replied to your SEM post (probably not very helpfully), but I hope you aren't getting too hung up on the stats for the mini viva tomorrow! It's fine to tell them you are only just starting to learn the stats piece! All the best!