Signup date: 07 Jun 2017 at 4:13am
Last login: 03 Oct 2019 at 5:03pm
Post count: 21
I am doing my 3rd year PhD in the UK and i was invited to deliver a guest lecture for a group of undergraduate students. I am more confident with writing because i can check the errors whenever i want. However, when delivering a lecture, i believe that there will be several mistakes in grammar and vocabulary use. I have done many rehearsals now and i notice that it will surely happen during the lecture. I am from the South East Asian countries, so English is not my mother language. Do you think that will be fine for students if i say something wrong in grammar and some incorrect vocabularies?
Is it only me who does not have statistics background to do quantitative research method?
My research will use Structural equation modeling (SEM). I read many material about conducting the SEM but still very confused because they are all different.
- One book says there are 7 steps for the SEM, others say 5 steps. And the names of each step are also a bit different. This is what i am confused.
- I tried to learn SEM by myself, everything from scratch. So i everything that i know is very fragmented. I do not know how to understand it in a systematic way. Could anyone please simplify it?
- In the goodness-of fit indices of SEM. There are Absolute fit, incremental fit and parsimony fit. What if Absolute fit is significant but incremental fit and parsimony fit are not significant? Do we still accept the results? Something like that.
- One step to do the SEM include Model estimation. Why do we have to do it? What is the difference between estimation and goodness of fit?
There are many other questions buzzing around my head now. I am stressful today. When ones get PhD graduation, do they know everything about statistics? My skill in statistics seems zero now and still struggling.
I know my questions are silly but i do not know someone else to ask.
Thank you for reading this
So i am quite hesitate to tell people that i am doing a PhD. Majority of people who i know are expecting that i should know everything like a live wikipedia and my behaviour should be perfect. My employer also makes a joke (or not) that "you are a PhD, you should do something that my company can grow bigger" even though i work for only 2 days/week. Some of my friends are also making fun when i use swear words.
How do i deal with these?
Hi Fallenorion and Tudor_Queen,
Thank you a lot for your sharing. I wanted to make sure if there are hidden issues about my case then i asked for my supervisors' opinions and they seemed didn't want me to move far away from Bradford and they are right that i should live next to supporting network at Bradford university. Well, so i decide to stay near the university otherwise it will affect my study. I might stay here for the first year and then think of moving. I will also look for a part time job in the university as well and hopefully i can get one.
I've started my PhD in marketing at Bradford university.
i did my master in Liverpool and i love this city so much. When i moved to Bradford, i am so frustrated and don't want to live in this city. First, it seems isolated and the city is very quiet at weekend, there are just a few people walking in the city center. Second, i smell a lot of weed when i go to the city center, that is so scary, i feel unsafe to live in Bradford. Another thing is that Bradford it is too hilly. So i think i will live in another city. But i have to balance my studying times, working part time job, fees and times of transportation to and from Bradford.
The thing is i got a part time job when i was in Liverpool and my employer would love me come back. As i am self funded, i really need a job as well. so here are some cities i am considering to stay but every of them has pros and cons, so i would love to hear from you.
- Liverpool: I can see on the schedule that i only have to attend class only 3-4 days a month and 1 day meeting with my supervisors. So if i live in Liverpool, i can use Liverpool library to work on my PhD. I can travel to Bradford when there are sessions or meetings. But it takes 3 hours to travel from Liverpool to Bradford by National Express/ Train.
- Leeds: I like Leeds. I can travel to Bradford very easily but it's very far from Liverpool
- Manchester: it is in between Bradford and Liverpool. It takes only 1:20 hours to get to Bradford or Liverpool but accommodation is quite expensive.
About the part time job, is there possibility to work within university for PhD student? what are those kind of job for PhD student?
I am very appreciated if someone gives me solution about this.
You can be sad, you can be frustrated. But trust me, they are just temporary and imagine you are a big standing spring, when you have something drop into your head, you feel tensed and pressured, you are down for a while but after that you will push that object up backward. you will be back to who you are, with your family. It is not worth costing your life for just that thing.
Thank you Tudor Queen and Craigwhizz for sharing. I have an offer already, but i dont know what source of scholarship i can find in the UK. There is not much funding from my country Government, so i think no hope for scholarship. The ones that i intended to apply for were all closed and even if they are open, i don't think that i can be successful as my Master was a Pass (with >60 on average). I was applying at about 30 universities and after 4 months, only 1 accepted me as a self funded student. I don't know what PhD student life is, some told me there is not much to do but the others look very stressful. I am looking for opportunity to work at the university while doing the PhD but not so sure if it is easier for PhD students. I email my supervisors but he did not response anything. My tuition is for overseas so it is 3 times higher than UK/EU students.
Masters DegreesSearch For Masters Degrees
An active and supportive community.
Support and advice from your peers.
Your postgraduate questions answered.
Use your experience to help others.
Enter your email address below to get started with your forum account
Enter your username below to login to your account
An email has been sent to your email account along with instructions on how to reset your password. If you do not recieve your email, or have any futher problems accessing your account, then please contact our customer support.
or continue as guest