What to do if your supervisor leaves..?

P

So...my supervisor has decided to leave her job, and I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation?

What are my options? I have a centre-linked ESRC scholarship so I'm not sure if transferring to another uni is possible, but there is no one anywhere near my subject area at mine :(

there are people at my uni who followed their supervisor. But they technically get their degree from the previous uni, but get to use our facilities.

S

What Sneaks said. I know a girl with an ESRC scholarship who followed her supervisor. What has your supervisor said about it? I'm sure there will be someone official you can contact for advice about the situation.

======= Date Modified 06 May 2010 12:14:11 =======
My supervisor (also director of studies) left on my last funded year. I wasn't allowed to keep him as an external supervisor as I already had an external on board, and moving to his new university was not an option. So I looked for a suitable person to take over his role from my school. There wasn't anyone else in my subject (but I thought my external supervisor would fill this gap easily). I read everyone's research interests etc to find links and similarities at least, after talking to a few people I've found my new supervisor (not so new anymore as I couldn't finish writing-up on time). He is the best thing that happened to my research. The whole thing changed shape.
Maybe you can do a similar thing? Your supervisor doesn't have to be in the same subject area in my experience.
Good luck with your search.

J

My main supervisor has left, although still wants to be my super, the trouble is its really difficult at the moment as he has many other things on the go too. I am waiting for him to look at some stuff, which he can't do until after the elections, my other supervisor here hasn't even replied even though I cc'd him in, so I'm really stuck, I wanted to get through the next hurdle by July, but since the stuff has to be in in June I can't see that happening and its putting me well behine inother areas. Not sure what to do for the best really, he is the expert in part of my field, but no-one is an expert in the other bit (its probably me :$). so it looks like I'm ploughing a lonely furrow here, and when I look at what help others are getting I feel a bit cheated really, they are getting far more for their money! i would see how it goes before making a decision though.

B

My supervisor moved 500 miles away to another university. I had the option of following him to the new uni, though at a distance. But I decided to stay at my current one. He also technically carried on as my supervisor, for funding purposes, though near the end another supervisor stepped in to provide more face-to-face contact. So I ended up with joint supervisors.

P

Thanks for this guys, it’s nice to know that I’m not alone in this and that different things have worked for different people :) and also that maybe someone from a different subject area could be a good thing!

I don’t think following is an option for me, but it’s nice to know that keeping her as an external could be a possibility, I will have to ask about this…