What to wear to conference social events?

L

Hey everyone,
This is a question for the girls! What do you wear to a conference dinner and reception?
I'm 24 so want to dress my age and look good but look appropriate. I can't ask my supervisor as it wouldn't really be a topic that we would discuss!
I don't particularly like to wear black and I'm not a person who wears business type clothes or formal trousers. I would prefer smart jeans and heels or dresses but not trousers if you understand what I mean???? I'm quite tall so trousers aren't really a look that suits me.
Can I wear a top and smart jeans with heels to the reception? (I'm guessing these are normally quite casual?)
Is a knee length dress best to wear to the dinner?
Thanks everyone!

P

Hi Laura, I'd say it depends on the conference. If it is a postgrad one which ends with a wine reception then dinner, often people just carry on without getting changed so jeans would be OK. If it is a bigger national conference there is usually time to get changed and I've found that people then do make more of an effort but generally not to the extent of black tie or evening dresses (if this is the case it is usually stated somewhere on the programme).

I would say if you have chance to change then jeans may be a little casual. So a knee-length dress as you suggest would be fine. Generally at the conferences I've been to people like to dress up a bit but don't go overboard. I went to one big one this summer and it was the 25th anniversary so it was suggested that it be a black tie dinner but only suggested, so people got confused and all the females were panicking trying to find out what everyone else was wearing. In the end some dressed up and some didn't but it didn't matter as it was a great dinner and after a few drinks no-one cares what people are wearing.

Just make sure you are comfortable in what you do wear.

M

Just wear what you are planning to wear during the actual conference...most people don't change for social events.

H

I think it varies a lot depending on the size of the conference - I've been to a couple of international 3-dayers where there was a dinner but it wasn't actually that formal - I think I wore the same outfit I presented in, a skirt and shirt. The others have been smaller conferences and it's been very casual. I'd second Pamw - nobody will notice what you're wearing so the most important thing is to be comfortable. And hopefullly no one is shallow enough to base their opinion of you on what you're wearing!

L

Thanks everyone!
I have enough to worry about so don't want to have to worry about this too! I know I shouldn't worry about small things but when your stressed out small things seem like a big deal!

L

Im relating this is a hard one to know what to do. When I went to a big conference this year I had the exact same thing but I took a load of different things with me, and I shouldnt have bothered, most people go in what they present in. I remember having the nightmare wondering what to wear to present in, decided on the old favourite of jumper and shirt with a denim skirt and some pumps. But there were presenters wearing everything from full on goth gear to suits so I wouldnt worry. I would say dress comfortably, I think the smart jeans and top is fine if you want to change. You may find u get there and start chatting to someone also going to the dinner and they aren't getting changed at all and you may just stay as you are. Dont worry no one will notice!!!