What to wear!!!

H

I know this sounds really dumb, but i've always been really bothered by turning up to events not suitably dressed! I'm kind of the Sienna Miller of the Research World! So, can anyone please advise me on what to wear to my first PhD interview next week!? Its a PhD in Pharmacy at Brighton!? Is a suit too formal? Please advise! Thanks H!

A

A suit (skirt or trouser) would be great (I wore a skirt suit to my PhD interview). I always err on the side of caution and would much rather be over- than under-dressed for formal occasions. I think dressing smartly shows that you are enthusiastic and serious about the interview (and are not taking anything for granted!). However, if you are not keen on wearing a suit, then a smart pair of trousers or a suitably formal skirt with a shirt or a (smart) t-shirt would also be fine. The most important thing is for you to feel comfortable and confident. Good luck!!

P.S. You might want to search the archives on here too, this question comes up a lot!

H

That's great info! Thanks!

S

is it a male supervisor?

If so, wear a bikini. That would work for me

H

Now i'm all at odds! Bikini or Suit? its a tough call!

A

Not really- wear your bikini under the (unbuttoned) suit.

H

That is a great suggestion! I'm there! Somehow I don't think they will be of the bikini persuasion!!!!

C

Thanks for the info too - I have an interview soon and nothing to wear!!

T

Hope your interview went well.

I would say that a full suit would be too formal for an interview in the sciences in the UK. Most people are pretty scruffy most of the time. I wouldn't go any further than a smartish skirt/trousers with a shirt and/or jumper - no tie.

S

I would err on the side of caution and go for a suit and tie. You can't worry about not looking the part. Better that than follow or be followed by a better dressed candidate! That's me anyway.

C

I have mine tomorrow Trying to think of some question I could ask but I'm always rubbish at asking questions!

P

No I am the crowned Sienna Miller of the research world!
Brighton is a v.casual institution. Definately not a suit in sight.