What winds your supervisor up?

K

======= Date Modified 09 46 2010 21:46:24 =======
Hey guys! Okay, I know this is really childish but I love winding my supervisor up because it is just so funny! She's cool and we get on really well, but she's a bit of an academic snob and tends to look down on anyone who doesn't have at least 3 degrees and talk with a posh accent. The best bits so far from this week:

Me: 'Wow, sorry about that, my head's been up my arse this week'
Her: 'Pardon? Your what has what? That's an absolutely repulsive phrase, do you really have to say things like that?'
(I have now promised her MSc students a round of drinks if they can somehow all squeeze the same phrase into their meeting with her next week)

Her: 'Did you read The Times last week'
Me:' The Times....erm, no I don't think so. I read Heat magazine over breakfast today though so I know who the England football players are all sleeping with'.
Her: 'Heat magazine? What is that? Why on earth would you want to read about that? That drivel can't possibly be doing your brain any good'

I actually think about the things I could say that would really shock her, I honestly think she lives in her own little world somtimes! What would you LOVE to say to your supervisor to wind him/her up and bring them back down to earth?!

Come on guys, it's a tough week and I need a laugh :-)

M

I LOVE this thread. Your supervisor sounds a bit like mine, (except it sounds like yours has more of a sense of humour than mine does). I deliberately wind him up all the time. I've seen him physically TWITCH at some of the things I've said, so now I like to throw in as many throwaway comments as I can. Such AS: "I don't really get why it's a masterpiece" (about Ulysses), "she's a very talented woman" (about JK Rowling), "I can't WAIT to see Dorian Gray on film", "I don't know if it was Lacan, or Freud, or Kristeva...but ONE of them said..." .

Hi Maria, I agree, I love this thread too, but my supervisor is really cool so I don't have much to offer, although there was this one time last year when I said I'd been watching loads of Kate Bush videos on youtube and noticed a similarity between them and films made in the Jarman stable - he looked at me askance, as if to say isn't that a bit off topic for your research, but I'd been watching them to get fancy dress ideas. So not really a wind up at all!

Maria, also, I'm reading Wilde's Dorian Grey (amazing, amazing, amazing) at the moment so I watched the film a few days ago, out of curiosity, and it was totally rubbish. Colin Firth was worth watching though, as usual.

T

Keenbean this is classic, well done you (and I so hope the masters students deliver!).

I have a love of winding people up and can never resist a bit of trouble making come meetings, but my supervisor's themselves get off very lightly; one is lovely and very human, the other struggles with English so any attempt at a joke would just leave me untangling linguistic knots for hours to come! One of my little amusements consisted of placing an over-sized worry doll in the middle of the table just before a team meeting, everyone stared at it but no one would say anything, they just kept staring and trying to pretend they weren't distracted. Eventually I cracked and started laughing, I probably looked a bit of a freak but personally I thought their repression was more telling than my prank.

W

Sadly I can't wind my supervisors up. Not because they'd murder me, but because I have no angle of attack, which is probably due to the fact that I don't see any of them as much as I'm supposed to. I'd have loved to contribute to this thread, but for once I'm going to have to shut up :-(

A

i also have nothing to contribute, i do wind them up, but not intentionally, i think I'm just that annoying at times... :-)

P

ha, ha - this is great Keenbean!
As for my sups, one is laid back that I can't think of anything that would wind him up.. and the other one.. well, I think hip hop & rap music wind him up, but also (in a not so funny way) anything I do and he disagrees with. Alternatively if he tells me to do something and I don't jump and say "thank you for giving me orders", and basically take some time to do it, yeah, that winds him up...I suppose we both like getting our own way (but then who doesnt:p)