What would happen in this situation?

N

I'm getting a bit more stressed out with my MSc work than usual at the moment, it's a busy time of year and although I am enjoying it, I will be relieved when there is only my dissertation to go, I am looking forward to focusing on one thing and I really like the topic that I have chosen.

I'm thinking hypothetically though, as I have been accepted to start a PhD (full-time) in the same department, starting in September, approximately three weeks after I hand in my dissertation. Therefore, I won't know my MSc grade until I am about two months into my PhD, obviously starting as a MPhil. After a first class UG degree, I am on a low merit now. I think my tutors thought I could have done better, but when I was completing last semester's work I had a lot of family stress with illness and a close bereavement, I still suffer from depression and take medication, my tutors have all been very supportive. I hope to bring this up a bit to a mid merit, and the director of postgrad research said that a merit was fine for PhD study.

But what would happen if I only got a pass for my MSc, or at worse, failed it? Would I be asked to stop doing my PhD and retake my Masters? I'm probably just being a bit silly, but I've been thinking about this for a while and don't really want to ask my tutors!

Thanks, Natassia xx

D

Were you given a conditional offer for your PhD? And I mean, as stated on paper as part of the offer?

N

The thing is I don't have it in writing yet, but I have had the interview and they said I just need to submit a formal application "to protect the student". It was really informal as I have been there for four years already, but I was told that I had definitely been accepted. They don't ask for a Masters as part of the entry requirements, but they strongly advise having one and don't generally accept those who don't. In the entry requirements it just states a Masters, not a specific grade.

B

We can't answer this reliably for you then. You really need to take it up with your university authorities.

D

If the entry requirement is to have a masters then it will mean a pass, unless they specify as part of the formal written offer anything different. What is on the formal written offer will be what stands.

J

Since they don't require a masters and they know about your difficulties while doing the masters I think it would be pretty harsh of them to throw you off esp as you are goign onto MPhil first. Is this a funded PhD - if so you need to get something in writing as they may have to go through formal advertising and interviewing process to cover them. Get the application in and then you will get something back confirming it.

K

Hey Natassia! I really don't think you have anything to worry about- if they wanted a merit or whatever then I'm pretty sure they would have told you. If it just says a masters then as long as you pass you should be fine. I suppose if you didn't pass they might want you to re-take the modules you failed or something, but given all you have had to deal with this year I imagine you would get special consideration at the exam board meeting anyway. If you were competing for funding or whatever then it would be more important to get the merit, but because you're self-funding you don't have to worry about the competition or anything like that, and they have already offered you the place anyway. If you really are worried then perhaps you could just ask about whether a pass would be acceptable, just to put your mind at rest. But I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. So try to stop stressing and have some time to chill out before your PhD starts! Best, KB

N

Thanks for the quick replies, I agree I probably don't have much to worry about, I hope to do a bit better this semester anyway and they all seem really enthusiastic about me staying on for a PhD, my supervisor is already talking about putting me onto a teaching course at the beginning which I am really looking forward to. I am self funding so ultimately it is money for them and there isn't that element of competition there, hopefully I will be ok.

I think I'll just send a quick email to the director anyway to let her know about the progress I have made with my application and to ask her about the Masters requirements, just to put my mind at rest. I was really open about my grades and performance when I had my interview (wasn't aware it was an interview until the end!) and she was really kind and supportive about it, she seemed to just want students with good first degrees and Masters degrees. It will be a big relief to get it all in writing though.

Thanks, Nx

S

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was in a similar situation to yours, got a 1st for my UG, but then struggled in the first year of my master's for a number of reasons, and picked up in my second year. My MPhil/PhD interview went really well, and the uni gave me an unconditional offer in the end. I don't think they cared too much about my master's grades.

N

Thank you, I think I'll just have to email then see what the offer letter says to be sure, but it's good to hear about others who have been in similar situations, Nx

Hi Natassia, I doubt very much you're going to fail your MSc, and usually all that's required for PhD entry is a pass at this level, especially given that your first degree was so good.

My masters grade was disappointing, for various reasons, and it's never been an issue for me as a PhD student - apart from with funding applications, and even then I did ok on the AHRC scale, back when they had such things, better than some with firsts, so it isn't everything.

It's probably natural to have this kind of worry before the deal is sealed in writing with your PhD place, no matter what your circumstances - I think I had them too - but perhaps your current stress is affecting your attitude to this and making you worry more than you, otherwise, might?

Perhaps you could look into when you are going to get your letter, I'm sure having that would ease your anxiety considerably.

S

Hi, I'd also say its very unlikely you'd fail - I was in the situation too where I had to submit my MA dissertation in the Sept and start the PhD in the October and was worried, my sup told me that if they didn't think you could do it from what they'd seen of you then they wouldn't offer you the place. The last thing they want is to put a student onto a PhD course and then have to pull it from under them - its a totally different animal to the masters. They have faith in you so have some in yourself :-)
I didn't get my MA results until after the first board and paper which I got signed off with no trouble, you'll be much the same (not sure if your uni has 6 monthly boards) but by the time you get your masters result you'll have done a couple of months of PhD work, I'm sure you'll do just fine and then no matter what the masters came back with you'd be ok :-) DON'T WORRY, concentrate on your work for now, enjoy writing your dissertation and look forward to your PhD :-)

A

I think you'll be fine Natassia! I don't even have a masters, went straight to a funded PhD after my undergrad and it's never been an issue. I doubt very much you would have been accepted if they were going to change their mind based on your results, unless you lose all brain space totally and turn in the plot of star wars for your dissertation! :-)
Just relax, concentrate on the final bit of your masters and don't panic!

D

I would get your application in asap as they can usually turn around the formal offer letter pretty quick - I applied where I was doing my masters and got the offer letter about a week later (even though I didn't accept it and they knew I wasn't going to).

N

Thanks for the reassuring replies - Eska I think you're right that I'm worrying more about this than I usually might, due to the stress I am under, I am really looking forward to starting this PhD and the different way of working, and would be devastated if I wasn't able to continue with it due to a poor grade at Masters level. I have been at the university for nearly four years now, my supervisors all know me very well so they should have some faith in me, two of them are writing my references for my application!

DanB - I would have handed in this semester's work by the 11th June so will be finalising the proposal then, one of my supervisors is looking over it for me before I submit it. I have my references and the rest of the application already done, so hopefully the application will be in a few days before the deadline on the 30th June. I've been told I don't have to have another interview, or to do as long a proposal and personal statement as other candidates, to be honest there's not much they could learn about me from it as I've been there so long and discussed my proposal with all of them! It's literally so that I can enrol, so they say.

Thanks again, Nx