Whats happens at a PhD interview

W

======= Date Modified 09 26 2010 18:26:20 =======
I have three interviews coming up next week for a PhD position. All the Doctors replied, tellling me to come in for an "informal chat" to discuss the project.

I don't know what to expect in these interviews, and i know it sounds lame, but i have no idea what to wear to an "informal chat" (I'm a male).

I was hoping one of you could help me with this. Thanks

EDIT: I'm looking for a PhD in the molecular biology field

G

Clothes first...Dark trousers, nice shoes and a smart top/shirt.  You might feel it is too much but then it shows that these informal chats still mean a lot to you.

As for what to expect, from my own experience you are generally asked about your research interests, projects you may have done before such as undergrad or masters work, why you want to undertake a PhD, what you hope to gain from it and what you would like to do in the future.

If you have your own proposal then obviously they will want to discuss it but if it's their own project then they will ask why you are interested in it.  It would be good if you could give some insight into the project beyond what they have said but if not then don't worry, sounding interested and enthusiastic is more than enough.

Hope this is of some use and good luck with it all! :-)

P

Hi

I don't know what your subject area is, so my experience might not be relevant, but I'm doing a psychology based phd. Before my formal interview in the department, i did also have to go in and meet with the supervisor.

with regard to the kind of thing to expect, i think there's a few things they're looking for. for the specific project, they usually want to see if you have a general appreciation for the problems or issues that might arise with the project. In my subject, getting participants to take part (especially when you're dealing with vulnerable populations) is difficult, and i think the supervisor generally wants to know that basically you are aware of these types of issues, and that you know it won't all be easy and go according to plan, but you're up for the challenge and enthusiastic.
And related to this, i think they want to see that you don't have a view of what doing a phd is like that is unrealistic.
They may also want to know what interests you about doing that project.

but overall, the informal chat is really to prepare you for the interview, and give you the chance to ask questions about the project etc.

as to what to wear, i'm sure it won't be really formal. i would say smart trousers and a shirt would give a good impression and look and feel smart, without looking really over-dressed. most of the doctors and professors in my department tend to wear jeans and a shirt, and only use suits for formal interviews.

hope that helps a bit, good luck

S

I had an informal interview last week for a biological/medical science PhD. I really did not know what to expect as it was the first. It started with them showing me around an then the informal chat began. As expected they asked me about why i want to do the PhD and asked a few technical things about the study area, to see if i had a look around the subject. They also asked where I see myself in five years. Before this though they asked about what I had done in the lab, this threw me a bit as most of the lab stuff from my degree had been in the earlier years, not so much the third and fourth. So I felt a bit of a gormless idiot, I had to say I didn't know! So if it was lab based, i would look up what machines/procedures you have used. They also asked me what molecular biology was, sounds simple enough but at the time I struggled to answer.
They did say they just wanted to get me to think a bit about what i had done, and were very nice. I even got the PhD!
As for what to wear, I think somewhere in between too smart and too casual, like a pair of trousers and a shirt.

P

@All... Thank you guys ur advice was really helpful.., goin for an interview this friday hopefully i clear it... :)

I

Quote From wonderbar:

I don';t know what to expect in these interviews, and i know it sounds lame, but i have no idea what to wear to an "informal chat" (I';m a male).

I had the exact same problem trying to think what to wear! My girlfriend advised me chino's and a shirt and jumper was a good combination to start with.