When are you really ready to start your PhD?

E

My supervisor has asked me when I’ll be ready to start my PhD. I’m not sure what he even means. I assumed you had to strictly start when the academic year begins. Can I just say I’m ready to start now and just start? Do you usually have a kick start to your PhD workshop or do you get thrown in? I don’t want to sound silly by saying “when CAN I start?’

P

Quote From ellabella1993:
My supervisor has asked me when I’ll be ready to start my PhD. I’m not sure what he even means. I assumed you had to strictly start when the academic year begins. Can I just say I’m ready to start now and just start? Do you usually have a kick start to your PhD workshop or do you get thrown in? I don’t want to sound silly by saying “when CAN I start?’

You shouldn't feel stupid asking for clarification. Ask your supervisor what he means. You're going to have to learn to communicate with him about all sorts of stuff over the next few years. Take the opportunity to get over feelings of being daft because you'll have a hard time of it later if you don't learn how to do it now.

If your supervisor is a decent person he won't have a problem with this type of question. He'll probably expect it at this stage.

T

It's best to start with the rest of the cohort really, so you can work to the same deadlines as everyone else and get the same training etc. Start at the start of next academic year. You can start PhDs at any point though, that's why he's asking. You'll probably get thrown in the deep end and it's sink or swim. Best of luck.

I would take a break of some sort of maybe a few months. I regret not taking a few months to recharge and pursue other interest after university. It means you can go into your PhD fresh.

Though I agree with TreeofLife, join with the biggest cohort. Most universities (in the UK at least) have 3/4 intakes of PhDs a year and they vary in size. In the UK September is the biggest and you will make the most friends that way. It may vary round the world but you want to start with as many people as possible.