When presenting 'I' or 'we'

H

Hi,

When presenting your PhD work at conferences or pitching the work to others, do you use the term 'I' or 'we'. I'll be presenting my work to an organisation that I/we want to work with, and my supervisor is coming along too, to give an intro about the whole research group. When talking about my work, should I use 'I' or 'we'? I've done 99% of the work myself but I don't feel comfortable not including her, because she does support me ... What would/do you do?

C

You could take it from the point of view of the org you're presenting to - use 'I' if you are essentially the only person they will ever have contact with in a collaboration because then they will care specifically what work you have done (and possibly explain to sup why you're doing it that way to avoid the impression of ingratitude) but use 'we' if its the work of the research group as a whole that matters to them.

H

Quote From clupea:

You could take it from the point of view of the org you're presenting to - use 'I' if you are essentially the only person they will ever have contact with in a collaboration because then they will care specifically what work you have done (and possibly explain to sup why you're doing it that way to avoid the impression of ingratitude) but use 'we' if its the work of the research group as a whole that matters to them.

Great! It is only my work that matters to them ...