Where to register?

D

Hey everybody
I've been awarded a pretty generous scholarship to perform my PhD work in an institute located in Madrid. In order to obtain my diploma, though, they require me to get affiliated with some university, letting me free to choose which.
I was suggested the Universidad Autonoma or Complutense in Madrid, but some people told me there could be issues concerning the recognition of the spanish PhD diploma abroad. I was thinking about potential alternatives, such as british universities but couldn't really find much on the web...Anybody has any suggestions for me? Thanks a lot!!

R

google a search for a list of British universities and use that as a starting point. There a lot of great universities in the uk but the best one for you will really depend on the area you want to research. The most prestigious universities are in my opinion: Oxford, Cambridge and a number in London ( Imperial, Kings, UCL...) You certainty cant go to far wrong getting a PhD from universities like these but they arnt always the best in every research field and admissions can be very competitive in some cases.

I have left out a lot of other good universities so apologies if anyone gets offended!!! If you know what you want to research the go through the list of universities, contact departments working on areas you are interested in and take it from there.

B

Will your scholarship cover the fees charged by British universities? If so, you need to look for one that is open to the idea of distance-learning for PhDs and doesn't require you to spend at least a year at the university taking research training courses. This might knock out the top-ranked universities as many are stricter on these type of issues. You really need to ask this institute in Madrid what previous students have done, as what you want to do is a bit unusual, so precedents might be helpful. Is the scholarship part of a wider collaborative project with a few institutions involved by any chance? If so, one of the partner institutions might be willing to take you on.

R

inline with what bewildered has said, it sounds like your scholarship is to fund your study in madrid only so i would assume that the money is not transferable to another university, however there is no reason why you couldnt spend a few months a british uni as a part of your PhD work but you would still be getting your PhD from Madrid.

It sounds like your concern is about whether or not you will be getting a phd from a prestigious enough university or not. I really dont know anything about spanish universities to comment on that but if your academic grades are good and you have concerns about doing a PhD in spain then there is no reason why you cant do it elsewhere in the EU ( including the UK) A lot of stipends for UK PhDs are open to EU citizans so you should be able to find something of interest. It would mean that you would likely have to turn down your offer at Madrid if you want to do a PhD in the UK