Why do a PhD?

F

I'm considering doing a science PhD but would like to know why people undertake PhDs and what they hope to get out of them? I'm also concerned about being overqualified for jobs I may be interested in once having a PhD?

S

Think carefully about what career you want at the end; I was told that a PhD can make you look intelligent on a CV, but it isn't worth three years experience in industry (excepting jobs in industry that require a PhD). Depending on the sector, a PhD can be fairly useless and, unless you have personal reasons for wanting to do a PhD, employers will ignore it - they will be looking for real experience.

Talk to a careers advisor about the sector you're interested in.

Saying that, if you want to do it then go ahead - just be prepared that in many areas of work you'll come and be in the same position as people with undergrad degrees or Masters - it really depends on what you want to do

A

If you want a research career (in either academia or industry) or if you want an academic career, then a PhD is pretty much essential. If not, you are wise to think carefully about whether a PhD is a good move for you. I suggest talking about this with someone from your Uni careers service. Good luck.

J

I have more than three years experience in industry, but I have never been told that it is worth more than a PhD. I was consistently paid less than people with doctorates, for exactly the same job, even when I was supervising them. Mind you industry is corrupt anyway in my opinion, I'm going to try hard to stay within academia now. More bureaucratic, but at least less mercenary.

J

grouch-grouch-grouch

Think I need to go and lie down

Y

I do not know about anyone - but currently i am in a job that i feel is not stretching me, plus I have a second job that i really hate. I have always wanted to do one - so why not?

For me it is about personal growth!