With a PhD does masters grade matter?

S

Hi,

I'm currently doing an MRes psychology, and have recently found out I have been nominated for an ESRC quota award for my PhD.

My MRes grade is going to be very borderline between a merit and a distinction. But once I have a PhD will it even make any difference at all?

I think maybe I'm just a bit of a perfectionist. I have a first class degree, but it would really irritate me if I ended up with 69% in my MRes.

But I know that once you have a PhD you're considered as academically able as anyone else with a PhD, so I'm thinking maybe it doesn't matter?

T

I don't think it makes any difference as long as you pass i guess. Besides a masters is always necessary to do a PhD anyway, usually a 2.1 or higher at undergrad is all that is required from the funding bodies.

J

Hi there!

I was doing my MRes and getting stressed out about achieving as well as possible, and my supervisors told me to chill out as once I had my PhD no one would care much for my MRes anyway. They said that people will want to know that I have a PhD, who my supervisors were, if I am published and how many revisions I had to do to be accepted as a PhD. SO I chilled out, got a merit and worked on my PhD at the same time! Try your hardest, obviously, but don't stress cause it won't be worth it.

S

Thanks for the replies.

I think you're right... I should just chill out!

I am working hard on my dissertation though because I want to be able to submit it for publication. I imagine that would be better for my career, rather than worrying about whether I get a distinction overall or not...

J

Yes yes, exactly. I worked hard on my diss because it is part of my PhD but the rest I was told a merit is a merit which is still great but avoid burn-out before the PhD!

good luck on your diss!!
Jayney

J

ps - I got 69% on my first masters. ARG! that was stressful knowing I could have chilled more and got a bit less but essentially the same, a merit! Helped second time round...