wording help

So my research is doing loads of stuff that previous research hasn't, but its kind of just the starting point.
So... I've explained the problems with the previous research and I want to put something like

"therefore this study addresses these limitations"

But not sure if 'address' is really suitable, I mean it doesn't solve them by any means, merely a starting block.

Any ideas for alternative wording? Manchester phrase bank seems to just have 'remedy' which has the same issue I think :-(

D

======= Date Modified 12 Jul 2011 10:02:59 =======
If you're talking about the limitations of other research I think putting 'therefore this study addresses these limitations' is fine. Remedy would be much worse.

ok - I'll bow down to your wise words :-)

My sup says my writing is sometimes too timid - but I get scared to say things I haven't done (well in my mind I haven't done), and also, she goes the other way and has got us into trouble on publication submissions by saying things like "the results found that x=y" when we haven't even measured y. bonkers.

Anyway. I'll go with address :-)

agree that remedy is far too strong

D

From what I can see address really is fine but if you want to let me see the sentences just before and after I'll let you know (gives it a bit more context). Send me a PM if you like.

Just sounds as though you need more confidence in your writing ability. Also try not to think too hard about the words you're using when writing as it may hinder you. It's best to write and return to it later, in my opinion.

C

acknowledges? maybe? :/

Thanks both, I've Pmd you Delta, in case you have any words of wisdom on it. Its quite dull though so try not to fall asleep (only sent you a paragraph, but its still possible in my experience)

D

Hi Sneaks, I've sent you a PM.

thanks Delta, I'm going to be assertive and go with how it is (until my sup rips it apart for other reasons anyway).

THis is probably why I'm in my fourth year!

D

You'll get there(up)

on the plus side, that's chapter's 1-5 in full draft, and only chapter 6 to do before sending to supervisor. ALthough also should rattle out a structure for the discussion chapter.

D

That's fantastic, Sneaks. Have you considered giving notice of intention to submit? Although you may or may not have some way to go it will help keep you focused and give you that extra push.

I've got a deadline of 1st draft to sup = 29th July. Then I'm going to spend 2-3 days with her solving the key issues in mid-august. I reckon I'll just hand it to them - she's already sorted my examiners. Our uni is Super-lax when it comes to admin, they probably don't even have an 'intention to submit' procedure.