Worried about remembering academic skills

N

Hi all, just joined this forums as I have been offered an unconditional place on a MSc course. When I start in September it will be five years since I graduated, and I have not written any essay or sat any exam since this time.

Due to this, I am already getting worried that I will not be able to do the course and that my academic skills will not be as string as they were.

I know that once I get back into the swing of it, it will all come flowing back to me - but still worrying!

Did anyone else feel this way after a few years out of university? How did you find it once you started?

J

A lot of people get back to studies after a break and its not that difficult. After some initials hiccups, who you easily get into the flow and have no problem coping with essays and your course also. So dont worrying. Staying calm and confident will solve half your problems. Start with reading and then writing so you will get used to it.

D

I felt the same way when returning to academics after six years in the work force. In my case, I continued working full-time, so it was mainly a matter of time management, and staying organized. As Jenstallon wrote, once you get back into the flow of things, those "academic skills" come back to you. Actually, I think having some work experience before starting grad school is an advantage.

Good luck in your new program, and most of all: have fun!