would you apply for this post doc?

C

I was interviewed for a post doc around this time last year and didn't get the post. I've seen it readvertised with an identical advert, which I assume means whoever got the post has quit after 1 year (it's a three year project). The feedback I got from the interview was vague to say the least ..."It wasn't anything you did, it just came down to who came accross best o the day."

my reasons to apply are - well I need a job asap. It's an interesting project that I'm well suited for as it's a similar project to my PhD but in a different patient group.

My reasons not to are - I feel like I've not really moved forward in a year. I told them I was looking to submit in Jan 2011 and now it's going to be end of Sept 2011. They're going to think what the hell have I been doing! I don't even have any publications done in that time to at least explain what it's taken so much longer. I also put in another job application that had the same PI about 1 month ago and havn't heard anything more. I'm assuming I don't have an interview, and that's knocked my confidence about approaching him again.

A

I think you should really. If you got an interview before it means that the calibre of your appliction and qualifications fit what they were looking for. I take your point about appearing not to have moved forward since you last spoke with that team but perhaps could you frame it around a particular aspect of your PhD that you developed further. Or even if you had a problem with your thesis try to work around how you overcame it, maybe adjusted your methodology etc.

Good luck (up) but there are so fews positions out there that probably best not to at least apply

I'm in the same situation as you. Applied last year, interviewed, rejected (I know an internal candidate got it), was embarrassed to try again this year, as you I'm not really any further on. BUt I've applied and got another interview. If I get it it will be fantastic AND I can be smug in saying they should have hired ME last year lol.

J

I would go for it. By the time it gets to inteview you will probably have submitted, so you have moved on. Is there any way of telling if the person has left, or if they have a second vacancy in the same project? You have nothing to lose, just say you are really interested in the project, which you will have demonstrated by re-applying!

H

I'd go for it... BUT I would get in touch with them before applying. You say you've basically applied for this job before and also another one with the same PI. If you don't make personal contact it could look like you're indiscriminately applying for anything going. If you do make contact then (i) you can convey your enthusiasm for the specific job and (ii) remind them that (as far as the feedback from last year went) you were previously considered a good candidate. Might help your chances perhaps, or at least give you an honest impression of your chances this time.

I wouldn't get too hung up on your perceived lack of progress. That's PhD life. Maybe they will mind, maybe they won't but there's nothing you can do about it (though be prepared to confidently answer a question on it in the interview).

Good luck :)

K

Hey! Definitely go for it- you've absolutely nothing to lose. I was in a similar situation with the job I'm starting next month- went to the first interview and didn't get it, but got excellent feedback (beaten by someone with 2 doctorates, grrr!). Was then asked back for a second interview for another very similar job that had just come up in the same team and was offered it in the interview. If you've already made a good impression in the first interview (and not getting it doesn't mean you made a bad impression) then going back for another one will just confirm to them that you are really interested in the position and very keen to work in their team. Good luck with it :) KB

C

I was looking through old posts and found this one.

really wish I'd taken people's advice. In the end I didn't apply for the job but really should have. i got contacted by the PI in October saying they'd interviewed and hadn't been able to appoint, so I was invited to apply when it was readvertised for the third time. Turns out six were interviewed first time round and we were all appointable (nice to know :-) ) Anyway I was interviewed for it again on Monday and now keeping everything crossed, but as it's been three days starting to lose hope. Annoying to think that had I applied in Spetember I'd have had a good chance of getting it!

if it helps, I'm now working in the job I described in my post below (up)

C

Maybe they read this thread, as I got offered the job this afternoon! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

D

Fantastic! Great news! Happy days!!!

A

Brill news Catalinbond, many congrats(gift)