would you quit your PhD?

P

If you won the lottery? Lets say... £5,000,000?

C

No...but I would never work afterwards...instead I would luxuriate in my title as doctor and travel the world looking at animals and collecting them....maybe publishing now and then...if my work wasn't publishable in respectable journals...I would buy one or two and force them to publish my seminal works!

H

No, didn't I start a thread about the lottery a few weeks ago??

S

Nope, this is isn't about money for me. Just as well, you don't do PhDs for the money!

G

Chrisrolinski... I'm new to this, so let me get this right. Once you've become a Dr you can publish idependantly and get paid for it?

T

Nope, I would carry on with my work.. but splash out where I can :oD

But if I failed my PhD I would have enough money to buy one hehe

S

No, but I would use the money to give up work and go FT

...or I'd just buy one from Belford

C

Grob - I'm not sure. I meant that if I was rich enough I would buy and establish my own journal and get my work published in that!

L

Am I the only normal person on this earth??!!!!!!! Of course I'd quit if I won some cash!!

G

I can't understand why anyone would actually want to carry on if they won such an amount. It doesn't make much sense. As someone said you don't do a PhD for the money [more as a career progression tool...is anyone actually doing it for fun?]. That being the case would you need a career if you were set for life?

L

If you carried on you the money would make it a lot easier. You could have regular massages to chill you out, nice dinners instead of pot noodle from the office kettle, luxury hotel rooms to crash in if you can't make it all the way home after a late night... If your supervisor was being a b'stard you could employ a mediator to try and get your point over to them or a private detective to track them down if they were avoiding you...

A

golfpro said: "[more as a career progression tool...is anyone actually doing it for fun?"

I don't do it as a career progression tool or why it's needed for research jobs in academia. Actually that wouldn't be enough motivational factors for me to carry through. I'm only doing it because I want to prove myself that I can do it and because I like the challenge and because I want to call myself Dr Apollo...

J

I'd buy some f*****g equipment that works

G

'...because I want to call myself Dr Apollo'. Not entirely sure thats a great reason, but not really my business.

A

I know. It's not the right reason but at least it's a reason. I want to call myself Dr Apollo and I want to put it on my business card and I want to tell people like Gillian Mcwhatever and Paul McKenna that they are pathetic.