Writeup Frustration

P

I am finishing up the results section of my dissertation, and I am completely frustrated! I feel like I am on a seesaw with my supervisor. She has little interest in my topic and says she has little time to read my items because she is too busy. I hand something in for her to review, she suggests changes, I make the suggested changes, then hand it back to her. She reviews it, and several weeks later she says she doesn't like the document and suggests more changes which I had made in my document in the first place. She has been doing this with her for the past few years, and when I ask if I will be finished my dissertation in a reasonable amount of time, she reacts if I asked her something inappropriate, and gives me some BS answer in response. Is this just par for the course with the PhD, or do I have a incompetent supervisor? How do I content with this, if I am going to finish my PhD and still have a penny to my name and some sanity left?

C

Hi PhDdiva,

Not a great situation to be. Do you have a second supervisor or another academic in your department who can help you with your writing? It's not great that one supervisor is making things so difficult but you cant really circumvent her. Getting a second opinion might help you to support your discussions with her though.

It might be worth writing up a timeline which states what you still have to do, and how long you think it will take. Then put it to her as a suggestion and ask for specific feedback on which bits are realistic. Then it's not a vague concept that she is being asked to comment on.

M

Hi PhDdiva,

This is not unusual situation unfortunately. Do not go against her since the situation will be worst.

I do agree with CR1980, ask for specific feedback and you may ask to your second supervisor if you have one. Asking to other academic staff outside your supervisor team might be perceived as an insult. Be careful with this.

In addition to have a publication in a reasonable good Journal may help to support your research but it is not the solution. Unfortunately, your supervisor plays an a vital role, no just in terms of feedback but in your future development. So keep a good relationship!