Writing an abstract-how to make it punchy (and realistic)

S

Im trying to write an abstract (biological) for a conference. Obviously i have some data but Im wondering how i write about stuff i will do in the next few months but havent yet done without promising grand results!!Any help would be much appreciated!

S

It's hard to say really. it is a good idea to read other conference abstracts from previous years and see which elements you like and don't like about them.

I often take a quick glance at a conference abstract and if i see a key-word in the title that appeals to me (e.g. local adaptation; AFLP; parasite), i start reading it. I think most people make up their mind in the first 3 seconds of reading an abstraact, so people only have enough time to scan for those key-words in the title.

V

one way is to start abstract not with the main grand finding (if you havent got it yet) but with an interesting questions you are gona aswer with your yet to be conducted experiment. T

S

Read papers ,you need read all the papers related to your subject. then i am sure you can make predictions for most of your experiments you can gonna conduct and it would be a problem to write some abstract even you don't do any experiments. if you cannot, it means you don't read enough papers. in other words, you should go on reading.