Writing techniques for non-native English writers?

R

Any advice please for a situation when neither Tomatoes or Madman, Architect, Carpenter & Judge techniques work and English is not your native language?

D

Read lots and lots of papers, until your head explodes. Understand how to write a paragraph, how to connect one sentence with the other, how to make clear signals to the reader. There are ways to make your writing more interesting. I had lots and lots of help from my 2nd supervisor, and I also attended academic writing courses provided in the uni for PhD students.The teacher was excellent.
Additionally I learned punctuation and what tense to use in each case!

My 1st supervisor thinks I am a stickler, and I should just get on with writing! I look at him and secretly think his publications, which are impossible to read, because of the repetition of " It should be noted..." every five sentences or so! Try to build a bank of "favourite expressions and words" to describe certain things, like: reported, noticed, argued, concluded, suggested and so on - Avoid "it should be noted..." though :)

Ok, I sound like a smart-ass here. I still have lots of things to learn and writing is hard like pulling a tooth out, but it certainly improves. I write every day, since day 1 of my PhD, and after 2 publications, I still have a long way to go.

I would also suggest to use the "me and my research" file. Sometimes I sit down to write and I can't concentrate; I start writing down random facts that bother my head after a couple of paragraphs, I finally start writing about my research! Sometimes I make myself write non-stop for 20 minutes whatever comes to my head. Even if I produce rubbish, it is very liberating especially for the early research steps.

Generally, read and write as much as you can.

S

Are there any native English speakers in your office? I am one of just three in my office of about 20 so I often get asked questions about sentence structure. Obviously it helps if the person you ask is also good at English (some native speakers are fairly awful), but most would be able to point out where your writing sounds like it is written by someone with English as their second language, even when it's technically ok.

R

Thank you all (up) I think what also helps it to survive until next morning and start afresh :-) There are no native speakers in my office, but could probably ask someone to proofread my work after I have more or less something coherent. Getting a lot of practice in writing is a good advice - writing for exercise and building my own phrase-book!  Can I ask though (and I understand that the answer is highly individual) those of you who are non-native writers - how long it took (reading, writing, living in this country) to feel more or less comfortable in writing academically. You say until my head explodes, well, sort of, already, but with no apparent effect on writing skills.:$