Writing up blues

C

Sorry guys, just a general rant from me. The weather here in Scotland has been absolutely great for the past 10 days or so. And I've been spending time in the uni library almost everyday trying to re-draft my work.
Can't afford to go anywhere for a short holiday due to a) lack of time and b) lack of funds. Trying to write as much as I can in 180 days or so. Sigh...is there anyone who is feeling as dismal as I am about his/her work ?

Hi Charlie Brown,

I can empathise because I too am trying to get finished.

I don't know about you but I find I can't edit or write well for more than about four hours a day. I do it in two two hour bouts. I'm making progress and I'm pleased with my work, but it just takes so long. Sometimes I feel really guilty and I should be like you, working all day every day. But my brain just reaches saturation point sometimes and stalls. Like I did an hour and a half between 5:30 and 7am this morning but the rest of the day I've just zoned out. I did about 7-8 hours solid editing yesterday so I'm burned out and wiped out today.

I have been enjoying the weather at my local park - I go there nearly everyday for a breather and some exercise.

I see people on here working flat out and wonder why can't I do that? Hopefully I'll finish by the end of this year...

U

I'm like Eska. I just can't work on anything for too long. I guess the only way forward really is to break what you need to get done into smaller pieces, and more importantly, just focus on those individual pieces. Do things one at a time. I find if I try to multi-task I freak myself out as multiple problems start coming out from the woodwork, distracting me and causing unnecessary worry.

I think it's important to accept your physiological limitations. I just need more time to do work. I'm envious of others who can work 15 hour days but try as I might, with all sorts of techniques, my body just can't work like that. It got me down for a while, and made me insecure, but I'm slowly coming to accept that's who I am, and I have to be kinder to myself. Such pressure to be "better" is counter-productive.

That said, it's Sunday, and I'm in the library between 2 sniffling undergraduates studying for their exams when so many are out in the sun. I do plan on going for a walk later on at a nearby park, though. Eska is right - just getting out into a park, even for a bit, can make a big difference. A change of environment can work wonders!

J

Hi folks, Just wanted to add that I am the exact same! I can only do so much in a day. If you added the amount of time that I spend each together I guess it would only amount to about four hours of solid work max. I could do more than that but it wouldn't be good quality. I regularly zone out, listen to music, go walking, dancing, window shopping (like you, Charlie Brown, I don't have the money to buy anything so I torment myself looking at things I can't buy ;-) If I have the cash to spare I play the Lotto!). It is particularly hard to concentrate in this unusually hot weather when everyone else seems to be out drinking alcohol. Just keep doing as much as you can each day and it will add up. I know for me that's all I can do. I physically and mentally can do no more than a few hours each day but it is adding up & that's what matters. Keep going :-)

C

Thanks Eska, Ultimax & J Stanley for your responses. I had a break on the weekend by picnicking and cycling in the park. I returned to my work yesterday morning and have managed to write some 800 words...yikes ! I guess I will try to do a little bit everyday. I also have looked into ways to do things which do not cost much money, like visiting the museums, window shopping, nature trails and hikes, that sort of thing, to help me keep my spirits up. I just hope I'd be able to have the bulk of my work complete i.e 80 percent before I finally run out of funds ! It is indeed scary but I'm determined to get through it !