Writing up in 6 months?

J

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you fellow PhDers could give me some advice...

Basically I need to submit my thesis by the end of February 2012 at the very latest due to jobs/personal situations which are all too boring to go into! I am currently writing my final empirical chapter and then I will have all but the intro and the conclusion at quite rough first draft stages. I should also mention I am a massive waffler so all way over the word limit restrictions also. My literature review is a state also! So my question is do people think it is possible to redraft, get checked by supervisors and make edits and all those jobs like referencing in around 6 months tops?!

D

6 months, yes, it's possible especially if you have most of the work done already in rough drafts if that's what you are focusing on full time (I mean if you don't have a job or other life issues that will take up a big chunk of your time). However make sure that you submit something to your supervisors sooner rather than later, even if it's not the "final draft".

K

Hey! Yes, I definitely think that's possible- I know people who have around 6 months left and are certainly not up to the stage you're at. You've done the hard work now, most of what you have left to do sounds like editing-type stuff, which can be time-consuming and boring but you'll be amazed at what you can get done in a few months if you work steadily. Just set yourself some deadlines and get final versions of the chapters to your supervisors asap so that by the time you've nearly finished, they have already seen it all. Good luck! KB