2:2 BSc and MSc, should I not bother to apply to Oxbridge at all?

M

I graduated with a 2:2 last year, and am doing my MSc currently. Recently I am thinking of applying to PhD programmes (commencing next academic year), sourcing suitable schools and programmes. Should I not be bothered to apply to Oxbridge at all, with my 2:2, even if i have a MSc (distinction)? As there are loads of candidates out there with first/2:1 and MSc distinction.

T

I would imagine you would struggle to compete for oxbridge places with a 2.2 even if you have a distinction for your MSc.

Why bother yourself with 'Oxbridge' anyway? Take the words of S. Paul: 'Confine thyself to water no longer.'

P

There's only one way to find out....APPLY....You can only open doors by staying positive.

I'm currently studying towards a PhD at top 5 Uni with zero a-levels.

Good luck.

D

Is there a reason why British students only consider the UK? There are quite good places over Europe that are maybe not as renowned as Oxbridge but still really high ranked and with much better funding compared to the average UK uni. You barely see any UK students outside of the UK. I wonder why that is, especially as the conditions for PhD students are so far from good. You meet Spanish, French, Swiss, Polish, Scandinavian and so on but I never met a UK student (Well, 1 or 2 Irish)
Maybe that would be an option for you :)

Indeed Dunham; Bologna would knock Oxbridge into a cocked hat!

D

Not sure if that is supposed to be ironic.

W

i concur with durham, having studied at several universities on the continent i don't see how, for instance a random average continental university (note: they only count the real ones, not the polytechnics) is worse than a russell group uni. and i don't think that, say for instance, munich university (lmu) is worse than oxbridge. the old continental universities suffer in the rankings because they're still in the process of adopting the anglosaxian way of measuring research output. i would certainly recommend people to go abroad, if only for a year or so. makes a world of difference, as they say.

T

It's our lack of language skills Dunham, plus the inability to get a decent cup of tea outside of the UK :P

F

Why does Oxbridge matter? If you're talking about doing a PhD having the supervisor with the right expertise and interest in your work is far more important than the institution you attend.

I do wonder how you got on to a MSc with a 2:2 degree. I don't mean this to be critical at all. If anything, it shows you can be resourceful!

D

Yes, obtaining a good supply of tea is essential! Hence why USA out of the question.

E

I'm with pjc. Go for it! Doens't work out - who cares - apply elsewhere as well.