Confused about PhD Application Form

H

Hello and greetings from Denmark

I'm a bit confused about an application form for a particular PhD position (http://www2.hull.ac.uk/student/graduateschool/phdscholarships/fosaengineering-9.aspx), that I'm interested in applying for. It seems in the application form that I am supposed to present a "Research Proposal", which is what confuses me.
It is my understanding that a research proposal is something that you formulate if you want propose a project yourself, and not something you do to a project which already has a defined set of goals and basic methodology laid out (Such as the position I am referring to).

Am I looking at the wrong application form (http://www2.hull.ac.uk/student/PDF/PhDStudentship%20App%20form2014~FINAL.pdf) or am I supposed to formulate a research proposal for this particular position?

Sorry if this inquiry might be a bit stupid, but I have never encountered such an application form before and I were hoping that some of you might be able to help me out. I have already written to the university, but did only receive an auto-reply stating that it would take up to a week to reply :(

Best regards
Martin

T

I expect they just use this form for all PhD applications, whether applying for a particular project or submitting an independent proposal.

It says: "In up to 1,000 words, please provide a statement of your proposed area of research, and a short description of the study with details of the
aims and proposed methodology. Please indicate any relevant prior knowledge of the area and what you can bring to this piece of work. Tell
us why you believe you are the ideal candidate. Attach additional sheets as necessary."

If it was me, I would state what I'm applying for and confirm that the PhD already says should use xxx methods to achieve xxx goals. I would then just use the rest of the word limit to talk about prior knowledge and why I'm the best candidate. If you know/have experience with other methods then you could mention this too.

Good luck!